A Story To Share, An Identity To Find

So, I’ve been on this forum for a few days and noticed that I didn’t see a lot of people talking about their personal development regarding a specific stereotype they may have experienced/other challenges. For example, I thought I see maybe more women talking about how they realized that they were never destined for the kitchen, amid many stereotypes, or even anyone elderly celebrating how they’re able to be more appealing to their grand kids. I barely do assume thing a lot for the time, but this time, I will. I am going to assume that such stories do not appear anywhere because

1. People are too shy to write about their accomplishments or don’t think they’ve done anything worthy of mentioning
  2. Are being discouraged by those around them, and don’t seem to care about their accomplishments, so why should others?
  3. Have no idea this forum even exists, in which case, I really didn’t realize until now, how these people may feel lacking a community and even feel discouraged because of this. In that case, we need a strategy to help people figure out this place even exists! Because guess what? I get it, why should I care if other people are able to join or not? I get that’s something that may be at the back of our mind, but this place… it’s an entire identity that has been formed by hundreds, so letting more people know of the support and source of well-being this may be for them can only impact each other as well. But we’ll get back to that to that later, because looking back to the first problem, how can you find a voice when you don’t know what makes up your identity? Is it your friends, you thoughts, or the deafening silence you find when you need that helping hand? Perhaps you are an independent learner, and that’s how you learn best. How are you supposed to share your voice? A lot of the times, we underestimate the power of putting our thoughts and experiences into words, and how some people may not even have that ability. Are you dyslexic and trying to learn coding? Or struggle to typing? Is talking into a mic more your style? Being shy to state your voice can meaning helping those who can’t find their voice, share theirs. Challenges and uphill battles will always exist, so don’t make everyday the same old, because there’s more to life. Conquering shyness will always have been the best thing you got out of it. After all, what’s so bad with endless support and a platform to share your experiences?

Now, the next problem. Let me get this straight first: You’re like the best thing that ever happened to me right now. Ya you reader, because you’ve read what I have to say and made it this far, so here’s a thank you. If someone you know thinks that coding is a waste of your time (Seriously, my mom told me once what the point of this… what do you say to that?) But guess what? You know this is the activity for you if even if you feel awkward about talking around people who suddenly clam up because coding is “like…nerdy”, and you ignore that, you know what that is? EMPOWERMENT. Fight for what you like. Forums are a great way to share your beliefs and find people who like what you do as well. Having something in common isn’t the only way to make friends though. Introduce your friends to the world of coding, maybe even tie their interests in. If that person still doesn’t budge, well, what can you do? You have the power to change the world in your hands. Try thinking that way. Change you’re perspective, and then tell me what you’re able to come and find. You’ll be surprised to find what you never thought was possible.

I hope I inspired you to share your love of coding (if you are even on the forums and read this), and that you are able to learn from others and reflect on your own experiences. Doing coding by itself is great and all, but reflecting on your journey gives you experience, and cultivate an identity of your own. Not convinced? Well, as a first step, try communicating with those on the comments below. Take a share of you idea of telling your story. Tell what you believe in.

4 Likes

I am a 20-year-old female and I started dabbling in website-building a little over two years ago when my step-dad asked if any of us wanted to try to build a website for our church.
I had been interested in computers for a while, but I didn’t know how to start. I built the church website with WordPress when I was 17, and then I built another WordPress website for a small business my sisters and I tried to start when I was 18.
I really enjoyed it, but I wanted more control over the appearance and functionality of the websites. It also felt like I was cheating. I wanted to learn to do it from scratch, so I looked around a bit and found Codecademy. I did the free version through HTML and CSS, and it was fine for awhile. Then my parents bought me a year of premium for my birthday and I haven’t gone back to regular since.
I stopped for a while last year because life just got too crazy, not even counting Covid. It took me a little while to figure out what exactly I want to learn, but I’ve finally settled on the Full-Stack Engineer path. I’m only 8% done and still struggling with JavaScript, but it’s so worth it.
I’m not looking for empowerment or a way to prove myself. I came here to learn and be challenged.
I’ve always wanted a way to help people, but I didn’t know how until I discovered coding. I want to build websites for churches, missionaries, and small businesses to help them reach more people. So many just can’t afford a professional website and don’t have the time to figure out the different platforms. I think this is what I’ve been looking for for a long time now. Now I just have to graduate the path and start padding my portfolio with some experience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
I’ve got a couple of projects going that I’m working on as I learn to try to keep all the information from going stale, and I’ve still got a long way to go, but I’m very happy to be here.

3 Likes

This is a great mission, and I’m glad you’ve been able to really improve this much. Seriously, sometimes I find it hard to stick to something, even though I really want to give a go at it; it’s that initiative and desire to learn that really defines what coding means to you. So I’m glad you were really focused on the well-being of your websites, and how they can be made better. In fact, this year has been crazy for me too, so ha! That line made me smile. This is actually my first comment in a long time, but I’m glad that people were able to find this helpful; reminds me of how good the journey can be when you really learn to make coding your own, like you were able to by learning how to use it to help others. You’ve helped me realize that it’s versatility is really something special! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your comment! It really means a lot to me. I’m glad it was an encouragement. Thank you for reminding me how important it is to be involved in this community. I tend to forget it’s available, but it’s been an encouragement to me, being able to talk to people who share similar dreams and passions. It makes it easier to stick to it. I’m glad you came back and I hope this next year is a lot calmer for all of us.

1 Like

Thank you for, first of all, getting me back on the forums- again, still working on coming here a bit more. Also, I’m glad that you were able to use it as a source of fueling your passion- thanks again for this wonderful reflection and comment, really loved the “It really means a lot to me.”. :grinning:

1 Like