A Question About a Method in the Maze Explorer Project

Course: https://www.codecademy.com/paths/computer-science/tracks/complex-data-structures/modules/cspath-graphs/projects/maze-explorer
Code: https://gist.github.com/50cb9e0e105fb2c2527ea6b31b3d1205
In this course, I was requested to expand “explore” method and I did as I was told but I couldn’t manage to understand how I could manage to call “explore” method on “excavation_site”.
Here in this code I called explore method on “excavation_site” and it worked but “excavation_site” is an instance of “build_graph” function and this function has no “explore” method or attribute. Actually, Graph has “explore” method or attribute. How did “explore” method worked with “excavation_site”?

Hi,

Note when build_graph() is invoked, it returns an instance of Graph class. This is stored in excavation_site. That’s how excavation_site is an instance of Graph class. If you want to verify you can probably type something like (print(type(excavation_site)).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. So, we can say it becomes an instance of graph class automatically. Right ?
And,
What is the logic behind this, why does excavation_site becomes an instance of Graph ?

Consider what the build_graph() function does. Inside it, an instance of Graph is first instantiated without any specific properties. Then, still inside, properties are added specifically for our “maze graph”. A more accurate name for the function could be build_maze_graph() as it is a function that only makes sense within the context of this program. If you wanted to make a graph with diff specs, you couldn’t use this function.

excavation_site is simply passed the return value of the build_graph() function. If you just invoke build_graph(), the created graph won’t be stored anywhere.

2 Likes

I got it already but, shouldn’t it be like “excavation_site.graph.explore()”? Because “excavation_site” instantinate or is equal to “build_graph” function but “build_graph” function have not explore() method but “graph” variable which is in “build_graph” function, has explore() method as it is instance of “Graph()” class. So, now wasn’t “excavation_site.graph.exlore()” more accurate and shouldn’t “excavation_site.explore()” be working as explore() method do not belong to “build_graph” function ?
I hope I could describe my question correctly.

Hi again,

So it’s a bit complicated to think of the = operator as equals in programming.

When one writes excavation_site = build_graph() it doesn’t means excavation_site is equivalent to build_graph() function. It’s more accurate to say, let the value of excavation_site be whatever the value of build_graph() resolves to. And since the value it resolves to is an instantiation of a new Graph class, excavation_site is now a new Graph class.

excavation_site.graph.explore() wouldn’t work because excavation_site is the graph. That’s like saying Graph.graph.explore().

Try putting a bunch of print statements with the type() method to highlight what each thing is.

For example, in the terminal, look at this interaction:

>>> def number():
...     return 5
>>> type(number)
<class 'function'>
>>> type(number())
<class 'int'>

So type(build_graph) would return a value of <class 'function'>, but type(build_graph()) would return a value of <class '__main__.Graph'> or something to that extent.

2 Likes