A few questions about CSS Grid

I couldn’t find the course as a category on the forum, so I figured “positioning” is the closest thing.

I’m wondering about the use of CSS Grid. For one thing, do most browsers support it? The fact that I had to enable experimental web platforms on Chrome to use it makes me wary.
If a browser doesn’t support Grid, what happens to a page that uses it? Will it display incorrectly?

I’m also wondering why I would need to use it, particularly because it might not be fully supported yet. I taught myself HTML and CSS about a decade ago, so much of the courses here have been review for me. But I seem to remember being able to position elements both explicitly and implicitly using HTML and basic CSS without the “grid” property. Are those methods now obsolete, or am I remembering incorrectly? I could have sworn divs could be used as a grid.

Basically, does CSS Grid actually have functions that can’t be achieved another way, or is it just more convenient than doing it another way?

I think this (Experimental Platform features) and JavaScript Harmony are safe to enable at this time. Much of it has become de facto in current browsers.

Get on the CSS Grid!

Twitter Bootstrap is one such addon, among many others that have surfaced over the years. Only CSS Grid has been taken all the way to browser implementation, though. All the others require a plug-in (imported CSS). To manually perform what it can do is a very mammoth task requiring floats, absolute positioning, media queries, etc. which all take their toll on designers when it comes to responsive design. CSS Grid pushes all that stuff off the table and lets us work in a well defined document namespace.

Thanks, that makes sense! I’m glad CSS Grid is fully implemented. I can see that when developing a large site, Grid would be much easier to use than specifying positioning for each class or element. For a one-page project, I’d probably prefer using absolute positioning and floating. But not many projects are single-page.

Multiple page sites usually only have a handful of layout variations. The key is to write templates that can work in many situations, and minimize the number of actual templates. The more consistency in the design and layout, the easier to maintain and update over time. It all starts from a single page that can be spawned to create new pages. Adapt the pages to that one design, and vary according to purpose, not just for the sake of varying.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.