A fellow of infinite loops

I don't understand this part of A fellow of infinite loops while loop,

The variable understand isn't being compared to any value inside the while loop parenthesis. So I want to know how the condition is satisfied. Can I write it has "understand === true"? It is also printing false in the console for some reason.

understand = true;
while(understand){
	console.log("I'm learning while loops!");
	//Change the value of 'understand' here!
	understand = false;
}

you don't always have to compare, in the end it matters if the condition is true or false.

so a simple:

if (true){
    console.log("see")
}

is perfectly valid

you update a variable after the last console.log, this will log the variable value (console behavior), you could simply swap the console.log and updating understand around to get rid of the problem

Imagine you're in class and the teacher's giving a lesson. You understand whatever he's explaining, until you don't anymore and need to let him know.

Well, here you understand (understand = true). While you're understanding stuff being explained to you, you keep getting more information your way...

... until you don't understand anymore (understand = false).

While being taught all this stuff, you don't need to keep saying "Yeah, I understand" (you let the teacher speak, right), you just stop the explanation when you don't understand anymore. You break it, in order to avoid an infinite loop.

So the condition is true because the variable understand has been declared as true in the first line of the code?

Thanks, but I know how the while loop works, I was just confused about the condition being satisfied. :slightly_smiling_face:

@stetim94 "False" gets printed in the console because it's default behaviour of the console? How do I make sure that false isn't printed in the console, by putting the console.log in the last line of the loop?

yes, in the end it boils down to if the condition is true or false, it doesn't matter if this achieved through comparison, it can also simply be a variable being evaluated, given understand is true, the condition will be true

yes, given now no variable is update after the last console.log statement

Thank you for explaining it mate, understood it perfectly, :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.