99 Problems

I have looked at all of the other threads of people stuck on this lesson and still don't get it. This is what I have:
def greater_less_equal_5(answer):
if 6 > 5:
return 1
elif 6 < 5:
return -1
else:
return 0

print greater_less_equal_5(4)
print greater_less_equal_5(5)
print greater_less_equal_5(6)

But it says:
Oops, try again. It looks like your function output 1 instead of -1 when answer is 3. Make sure you filled in the if and elif statements correctly!

I really don't understand what else I am supposed to do or what they mean when they say answer is 3. Please help!

Try to compare answer with 5.

Literally no help at all. Any further advise?

what's the point to take answer as parameter? you passed arguments for it but did you use it in your function?

it means when you pass 3 as argument your function output should be -1.

here you passed 4,5,6 as argument

But why? Function has one parameter so this parameter should be compared with 5.

You are trying to find how the variable "answer" fits into the inequality when "answer" is defined by your line 1 of code. Right now your code assumes that answer is always equal to 6 instead of the defined number. Therefore replacing 6 with "answer" will yield proper code. It says in your error message that when "answer" was defined as 3 your code output the wrong number, as "answer" was not a part of the inequality it was discarded by the code and the first true output will be printed, the number 1 as your first inequality was true. I hope this helps and best of luck!! :slight_smile:

Find the solution yet? I'm still stuck on it too..

What it's looking for is that (answer) is greater, less or equal to 5. Here is what i came up with.

if (answer) > 5:
return 1
elif (answer) < 5:
return -1
else:
return 0

Thanks everyone! I get it now. The answer was literally answer.