8/9 Console returns the game results, yet won't let me proceed

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/javascript-beginner-en-Bthev-mskY8/1/4?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661#

My code doesn't appear to be working incorrectly, as the console does present the correct game results (i.e, if I type rock, and the computer "types" paper, paper wins), but still, it won't let me proceed. This is the error message:

"Oops, try again. Make sure to call your compare function with userChoice and computerChoice as the arguments! "

var userChoice = prompt("Do you choose rock, paper or scissors?");
var computerChoice = Math.random();
if (computerChoice < 0.34) {
	computerChoice = "rock";
} else if(computerChoice <= 0.67) {
	computerChoice = "paper";
} else {
	computerChoice = "scissors";
} console.log("Computer: " + computerChoice);

var compare = function (computerChoice, userChoice) {
    if (computerChoice === userChoice) {
        return "The result is a tie!";
    } 
    else if (computerChoice === "rock") {

if (userChoice === "scissors") {
            return "Rock wins!";
    } 
        else {
        return "Paper wins!";
        }
    }
    else if (computerChoice === "paper") {

if (userChoice === "rock") {
            return "Paper wins!"
        }
        else {
            return "Scissors wins!"
        }
    }
    else if (computerChoice === "scissors") {

if (userChoice === "rock") {
            return "Rock wins!"
        }
        else {
            return "Scissors wins!"
        }
    }
};
compare (computerChoice, userChoice)

Note that the instructions when we started writing the compare() function specified local variables in the parameters: choice1 and choice2 which are what we need to use inside the function. The global variables are only to used as arguments in the function call.

So my mistake was in deleting choice1 and choice2? But would my compare function still have any effect on the code as a whole without it making reference to computerChoice and userChoice? Or am I getting it wrong all again? :neutral_face:

Technically, the global variables will work as expected in the function, but it is not a good practice. Local variables protect the global namespace since they are scoped to their function, not the outside.

The SCT is not exhaustive and may have a limited set of error messages so the message may not match the lesson error. Once your local variables are in place, does the code pass the lesson check?

I did as you said, and reverted back to choice1 and choice2 on my compare function, and at first, for some reason, I still didn't pass the lesson, with the same error message from above being shown. I then tried calling the function using (choice1, choice2) and received a ReferenceError, as these variables hadn't been defined in the global scope. As a last resort, I once again called the function using (userChoice, computerChoice), as I had done before, and bingo! It finally worked! :smiley:
Maybe, when I reverted to choice1 and choice2, and I still didn't pass the lesson there was a bug of some sorts with the SCT? Anyhow, it worked! Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.