8, 2.2, "anti_vowel". This Code Works On Repl But Does Not Work At All Here. Why?

def anti_vowel(text):
	x = "a e i o u"
	for i in text:
		if i.lower in text.split():
			y = text.find(i)
			text = text[:y] + text[y + 1:]
	return text

Hi @billy_the_kid88,

What result do you see that indicates that your code does not work in the Codecademy environment?

What result do you see that indicates that your code works on Repl?

“text.split()” at line 4 was meant to be “x.split()”. That is what works in repl and what i am using. To be clear, the correction here in this post is the code that i am using that does not work.

“Your function fails on anti_vowel(“Hey look Words!”). It returns “Hey look Words!” when it should return “Hy lk Wrds!”.”

on Repl it says “Hy lk Wrds!”

The code that i used in the above post was transcribed incorrectly. “text.split()” is actually “x.split()”. This does not work.

Here, you establish a loop that iterates through text

for i in text:

However, this line assigns an altered value to text

text = text[:y] + text[y + 1:]

Altering the sequence as you iterate through it interferes with the iteration process.

Instead, assign a new empty list to a new variable prior to the loop. Then, inside the loop, append characters from text that are not vowels to that new list. Finally, after the loop, return that new list.

@applylpye

I I forgot the parentheses in i.lower(). it works now. my bad.

Glad it works.

Regarding my statement …

Altering the sequence as you iterate through it interferes with the iteration process.

… technically, you were not altering the original sequence pointed to by text. Rather, you assigned a new value to text.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.