8/15 anti_vowel

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/practice-makes-perfect/exercises/antivowel?action=lesson_resume

It seems like the last “o” in “Words” is skipped. This is the error message.
Your code looks a bit off--it threw a "'str' object has no attribute 'copy'" error. Check the Hint if you need help!

I would expect it to run smoothly since it already removed the "o"s in look. Why is the “o” in “Words” skipped?

def anti_vowel(text):
  l=[]
  s=""
  for char in text:
    l.append(char)
  for c in l:
    if c in 'aeiouAEIOU':
      l.remove(c)
  for n in l:
    s = s + n
  return s

`

Well, I’m not expert, but I think you can make it simple:

def anti_vowel(text):
  lista = []
  for v in text:
    if v not in "aeiouAEIOU" :
      lista.append(v)
  return "".join(lista)

Yeah I am going to make it simpler later but I’m quite confused why did the “o” in “Words” not removed.

lets say we have the following string we want to remove the vowels of:

anti_vowel("look")

so look goes from index 0 till 3 (inclusive):

l   o   o   k
0   1   2   3

the problem is that strings and lists can’t have empty indexes.

so the moment the o at index 1 is removed, everything to the right of the removed letter shifts one index to the left so we get:

l   o   k
0   1   2

good, removal completed, no empty indexes left, so the loop moves from index 1 to index 2. This causes successive vowels to be skipped (given the o moved to from index 2 to index 1)

in your case, the o in look gets removed because remove() will remove the first instance it can find, so the moment the o in word is found, the o in lok gets removed

this is why remove is not a recommended approach for this program

I see. If I were to continue with this approach, is there a way for me to overcome this problem?

despite my recommendation that remove is not a good approach?

Well, obviously this problem only occurs when you remove from the same list as you are looping, but given you have both a list and a string, you should be able to overcome the problem

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.