8/13

Hi
This is the correct answer for this exercise. My question: I don’t understand how it knows that “food” is part of the 2 dictionaries-Prices and stock. IOW, how does it know that “banana” is food, “apple” is food etc.
I could not figure out how to ‘Print’ the individual food names, so I got the answer. I just don’t understand the answer.

‘’'
prices = {“banana”: 4,“apple”: 2,“orange”: 1.5,“pear”: 3}

stock = {“banana”: 6, “apple”: 0, “orange”: 32, “pear”: 15}

for food in prices:
print food
print “price: %s” % prices[food]
print “stock: %s” % stock[food]
’’’

the keys for both dictionaries are the same. So it doesn’t matter which dictionary we loop, we can still simple print the key (product name, stored in the iterator variable)

Thanks. My follow up question is even more basic than that.
How does the code know that “banana” is food, and that “apple” is food. Regardless if there is only 1 dictionary or 2.
I’m missing something.

John

because you defined the loop iterator variable (food) in the loop, python will now assign the keys from the dictionary to the loop iterator.

so each iteration, food gets a value from the dictionary, the for .. in .. loop does this for you. The general syntax would be:

for key in dictionary:

or in case you have a list:

for value in list:

python is handling assign all the keys from dictionary (or values from list) to the loop iterator. Python does a lot of heavy lifting here

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.