7 Things to Consider Before Attending a Coding Bootcamp 💡

I know a lot of people are thinking about transitioning jobs post-pandemic, or have been forced to look for new employment as a result of it. That’s why I thought it would be useful to share this with the community!

Link to the full post

Main takeaways:

• Make sure you really enjoy coding. Like really really enjoy it. Try coding for 100+ hours and see how you feel about it.
  • Check jobs in your area (or where you would like to work) and make sure the typical requirements align with the sort of bootcamp you are going into.
  • Keep in mind that while Bootcamps like to boast about alumni landing jobs at big tech companies, for most graduate it will be less so. It will still be competitive and hard work. There aren’t magical shortcuts.

And while we are on the topic, let’s not forget cheaper online alternatives! For what I’ve heard from people attending coding bootcamps, what they enjoyed the most was:

• Structured learning (being told what to learn)
    • Online alternatives: Places like Codecademy, freeCodeCamp, Udemy, etc usually offer curriculums and syllabus with all the material.
  • Being pushed to learn (a lot of people have discipline problems when learning on their own)
    • Online Alternative: getting involved with other students and online communities can help you stay motivated and accountable! A good study group can push you to reach your goals.
  • Networking with alumni and industry recruiters
    • Online alternative: if you find a company you would like to work for, find out if they host events online open to the public, find current devs in that company on social media like Twitter and politely ask for advice, use tools like LinkedIn to connect to others and build relationships.

I’d love to hear how online learners here are moving through their learning journey, and if they have found success landing jobs or connecting with industry! And of course, people that have experience with bootcamps!

13 Likes

Really informative, nice!

“Being pushed to learn (a lot of people have discipline problems when learning on their own)” - It’s the main reason in my opinion.

1 Like