7. Sending a letter

7. Sending a letter

Hey everyone,
I just want to ask a question, There is one thing I don't get. I am a complete beginner so I am not really familiar with programming, thus this may sound stupid, anyway: how is it possible, that '(score)' is somehow linked with the function above (computing average)....aren't they linked? Then how does the computer know, that '(score)' is a number for. ex., how come it is not necessary to define it? I guess I didn't get the concept of arguments in general.

Thanks anyone!

Replace this line with your code. 

def get_letter_grade(score):

if score >= 90:
      return "A"
    elif score >= 80:
      return "B"
    elif score >= 70:
      return "C"
    elif score >= 60:
      return "D"
    else:
        return "F"

return get_average(lloyd)
    return get_letter_grade(student)

score is the function parameter, its serves as placeholder until you pass an argument (a number in this case) when calling the function

As of defining the function, the program does not know whether score is a number, a string, a list, a dictionary, etc. As far as the program is concerned score could be anything. And the the program could care less. It's just a placeholder for the whatever you pass into the function when you actually call it. In other words think of parameters like variables, whenever you call a function, the argument you pass into it becomes the value for score. For instance when you called:

return get_average(lloyd)

You were essentially telling the program to run get_average(score) except now, score = lloyd. Until a function is actually called, the parameters you have set are valueless placeholders. Once you call the function and pass in arguments for those parameters, they take on value and purpose.

Thank you guys! It makes sense now:)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.