7. reverse

I have tried a number of things but I can't get the thingy to iterate backwards. The program has run out of oops to show me. Some times I get its just "!" when it should be.. 'int- instead of... or like in the case below, "Your function fails on reverse("Python!"). It returns "None" when it should return "!nohtyP"."
I'm trying to understand.
I think the code below would mean:

def reverse(text):
---for i in text: #for each index in the string Python!
-------while len(text)>i: #while 7-the length of the string- is larger than the index number
-----------position = len(text) - i # position is equal to the length of text minus the index number
----------- return text[position] #return the letter on index number position

It doesn't iterate through the string, much less backwards.
The program throws an oops, in this case saying that returns NONE.
I have tried a dozen ways and the closest I get is getting a '!' but not the rest of letters in reverse order.
Could anyone explain, please?
There is, obviously something I fail to understand!!!

Many, many thanks,
DD

how is the indention of the code, i get the idea it is this:

def reverse(text):
    for i in text:                             #for each index in the string Python!
        while len(text)>i:               #while 7-the length of the string- is larger than the index number
            position = len(text) - i # position is equal to the length of text minus the index number
            return text[position]   #return the letter on index number position

i am right? If i am, i would change the indention. Now your return statement is already reached after the loop is executed once. return should be on the same indent level as the for loop

Thank you,
I'll be right back after trying!

the loop ends when return is reached, if the indention is wrong, this means the return is reached while the loops have many more runs to make

With the return statement aligned with either while loop or for loop throws:

Oops, try again. Did you create a function called reverse? Your code threw a "local variable 'position' referenced before assignment" error.

Your interpretation of my indentation was right, but however I indent the return statement I get an Oops!

this code will never work, here is why:

for i in text:
    print(i)

you will see, this will print the letters. so your while loop:

while len(text)>i:

i is a letter, not a number. Which is something you can't do

Thank you!

Rather confusing! isn't len(string x) the number of letters (indexes) in that string? In other words, isn't len(Python!) 7?

I went to look for other solutions around here and tried to understand their solution so I can't go back (I don't know how to, but) would it work if it was converted to a number like int(len(text))

Many thanks nevertheless

len("Python!") would be 7 (you forgot the quotation marks ")

You can go back to earlier exercises if you like?

i don't understand, what do you mean by this: int(len(text))? I need to see full code, i would make a variable where i could push the hits to

Thank you steim94,

Still, in the code above (the one I posted at the begining that you printed with indentations),
in the line while len(text )>i,
Isn't text there a string? Does it need to be put in between quotation marks?
And, if it is a string, len(text) when is passed Python is 7. Either I am wrong somewhere or I still don't understand.

With int(len(text)) I was asking if in the code above, text needed to be changed to an integer ( a number)

How can you go back to past exercises? once I finished one I can't go back, the program sends me to the welcome back page.

Many thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
DD

No, text is a variable, which you parse into the function:

def reverse(text):

then when you can the function:

reverse("hello")

you need to indicate you have a string, so this might be easier:

text = "hello"

in both cases, text holds the string hello, so no, no quotation marks. text is a variable, which holds a string.

len(text) should already be an intereger. Make sure you call your function, otherwise len(text) = None

You can go here, once you selected the track, in the bottom left there is a button you can use. In this navigation menu you can select the exercise in the track, and there is back button which will take you to the track overview

Thank you very much stetim94.!
I'm going to try going back a little and make sense of it.
If you can help me coding/understanding all this you can help anyone!
DD

Take smell steps, insert a print statement here and there to see the result real quick.