7. Nice Work -> is it missing a couple of return statements?

1. Nice Work https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/ruby-beginner-en-Zjd2y/0/7

I'm getting "comparison of String with 0 failed" instead of the expected statement that "n must be an integer"

Here's the code I'm working with - notice the last line where I replaced 10 with "a"

require 'prime'

def first_n_primes(n)
  # Check for correct input!
  "n must be an integer" unless n.is_a? Integer
  "n must be greater than 0" if n <= 0

# The Ruby 1.9 Prime class makes the array automatically!
  prime = Prime.instance
  prime.first n
end

first_n_primes("a")

I think the first two statements after the def should have a return like this:

"n must be an integer" unless n.is_a? Integer
  "n must be greater than 0" if n <= 0

however it seems that the code as it is was supposed to show us the "streamlined" version of the code? But it's not really working though. Maybe I'm missing something?

No insult intended, you are, Ruby permits implicit returns. Something to read up on that may add to your tool kit.

Hm. But I thought implicit returns only work if it's the last line in the method definition or scope?

I've attached a screenshot of the editor window that I see immediately after clicking the challenge link.

The only thing I've done is to change the 10 into "a" in an effort to exercise the # Check for correct input! above.

However, this works as expected:

def first_n_primes(n)
  # Check for correct input!
  return "n must be an integer" unless n.is_a? Integer
  return "n must be greater than 0" if n <= 0

# The Ruby 1.9 Prime class makes the array automatically!
  prime = Prime.instance
  prime.first n
end

first_n_primes("a")

I still think the example in the challenge was wrong, but then again I'm probably still missing something :stuck_out_tongue:

I've looked around similar topics and it seems it's being discussed here too: https://discuss.codecademy.com/t/7-nice-work-the-return/22549/2

I'm happy I'm not the only one getting confused by this :slight_smile:

Going back over the lesson I can see where I was mistaken. Implicit return applies to the last line of a function. return is indeed needed on both those lines. My apologies.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.