6. We Made A Friend! Solved it but still need to understand some things

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/building-an-address-book/0/6?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661#

I'm glad I've managed to solve this on my own without looking at people's solutions (As you could do when you get stuck :slight_smile: ). But I'm not sure I'm confident with the result nor I understand all parts:
I've tried first by declaring the new object (contact) like this var newContact and it was accepted. Then I tried without var and it was accepted too. Can you tell me why it is like this?

The other part I don't understand, not just in this lesson, is the semicolons after the closing curly braces.. I haven't grasped yet when they're needed. As you can see in my code, I didn't use any and it was accepted. I undestand how they're needed after each single statement inside functions and in declarations though. Is it just because of how forgiving Javascript is? Thanks in advance.

var add = function(firstName, lastName, email, phoneNumber) {
    newContact = {
        firstName: firstName,
        lastName: lastName,
        email: email,
        phoneNumber: phoneNumber
    }
    contacts[contacts.length] = newContact;
}
add("John", "Doe", "john.doe@example.com", "(650) 555 5555");
list();

First Question

it gives different syntaxes for variable declaration:

var x = 1; //  This can be used to declare local and global variables(scope). 
x = 1; // Without var it is important that you assign a value, here we have a var in global scope and you get a strict Javascript Warning
x; // Doesnt work ;)

Objects are variables too, so the shown rules work here again:)

Here a good link

There you can read much about variables

Second Question

A semicolon at the end of a curly brace generates an additional empty statement . This is nothing bad in and of itself and does not lead to an error message , but used a full cycle , to do nothing. That means a semicolon after a curly brace is not needed.

Thank you! Although we've learned about it, I was thinking 'objects' instead of making the connection between them and variables. Many things in the linked article are familiar and we've learned about them but they still confuse me. I need to practice more :slight_smile:

Good to know about the use of semicolons.. I'll try to remember that. Thanks.