6. Slide to the Left! ... I understand the bit operators but not the code

I think I understand what the bit operators do, but I'm not following what the code does or what we're supposed to learn from this exercise. I'm pretty new to coding in general; this is my understanding of what we're doing:

First we set a variable shift_right equal to 12 in binary (0b1100), and another variable shift_left equal to 1 in binary (0b1).

We're then supposed to use the bit operators to chop off the two right-most zeroes of the binary number stored in the first variable, and add two zeroes to the right of binary number in the second variable. Changing them from 12 to 3 and 1 to 4 in binary respectively.

Lastly, we print bin() on each of our variables to see the resulting binary numbers.

When I first tried this I simply put:

shift_right = 0b1100
shift_left = 0b1

# Your code here!
shift_right >> 2
shift_left << 2

print bin(shift_right)
print bin(shift_left)

But I got an error message: Oops, try again. Did you set shift_right = shift_right >> 2 ?

So I changed it to below, and it works.

shift_right = 0b1100
shift_left = 0b1

# Your code here!
shift_right = shift_right >> 2
shift_left = shift_left << 2

print bin(shift_right)
print bin(shift_left)

Why doesn't my first attempt work? With the way CodeCademy apparently wants it, aren't we just re-writing the first variables? Do the operators not take variables directly or something, while a variable with the operator on a variable will work? It just seems inconsistent to me... but I'm kind of tired so maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

No different from:

a = 5
a + 5  # no effect

The first attempt does not actually change the state, that's why it must be assigned back onto itself (as in the second example).

OH! Ok. Thanks to both ionatan and mtf for your quick replies. I understand now.

If I had put print in front of my first attempts, I would have at least seen that the code DID do something (though codecademy still probably wouldn't accepted it). But since I didn't return or store that somehow, it just got lost in the ether.

a >> 2

b + 5

The above are known as expressions. They represent a value which must be yielded to a variable, as we've seen. We can complete the state change in one step by using an in place assignment...

a = 0b1100
a >>= 2
print (a, bin(a))    # 3 0b11
b = 37
b += 5
print (b)            # 42

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.