for i in impossible:
      for y in i:
          if x % int(i[y]) == 0:
              return False
          else:
              return True
  else:
      return False

1) If you think about how you would do this manually, how many loops do you need?

2) In your loop you check if there's a remainder after division. If there isn't, then you say it isn't a prime, but if it is, you say it IS prime, after only having checked the remainder with a single divisor. You need to repeat this test many times before you can say that it is a prime, so you can't return that early - and besides, is it even a loop if you always return on the first iteration?

My solution:
def is_prime(x):
if x==2:
return True
elif x>2:
j=0
for q in range(2,x):
if x%q==0:
j+=1
if j>=1:
return False
else:
return True
else:
return False

You are treating "i" as a range when it is a single variable defined against the list "impossible". Thats one issue you have getting working code to determine a prime number. The other is approach. Using a list is not a n efficient way to go.

for i in impossible:
  for y in i:
      if x % int(i[y]) == 0:

I have awful trouble figuring this out and it turns out that indentation key stroke stumped me for a day! <>

My approach in figuring it out was based on the use of range() to determine a prime number greater then 2. Using a for loop efficiently was the way way to go but BEWARE of your whitespace. Indent properly or you will get trapped like I did.

Here is my solution to the prime number issue:

x = int(raw_input("please enter your prime number for checking now"))

def is_prime(x):
    if x == 2:
        return True
        print "X equals two, True printed" #TEST CODE
    elif x < 2:
        return False
        print "Program recognises x < 2" #TEST CODE
    elif x == 3:
        return True
        print "X equals three, True printed" #TEST CODE
    elif x > 3:
        print "just before for loop" #TEST CODE
        for n in range(2, x - 1):
            if x % n == 0:
                return False
        return True
print is_prime(x)

A few problems here:

1. First off: I don't understand your solution.

2. If I copy it, it won't work. The error is: "IndentationError: expected an indented block" on line 7 (if x % q == 0:)

In line 7, it starts getting weird for me. I understand that you check "if x / q has no rest". But then, what is and why would you += it? Can you explain your solution? Or can anyone else?

This is my solution:

def is_prime(x):
    if x > 0 and x <=2 and x != 1:
        return True
    elif x > 0 and x > 2 :
        for n in range(2,x-1) :
            print n
            if x%n == 0 :
                return False
        return True
    else:
        return False

Hi,
Does your code work with value 0?
I have a similar code as below but I am getting error that - “Your function fails on is_prime(0). It returns True when it should return False.”

def is_prime(x):
for n in range(2,x):
if x%n==0:
break
else:
return True
return False

This solution is similar to tacoasian’s, but with simpler coding.It determines if a value is less than 2, it is not prime and returns false. If it is greater than 2 and cannot be easily divided by a number between 2 and x-1, than it is true.
Example: x == 10
10 < 2 is false
n = (x-1) or n = (10 - 1)
if 10 is equally divisible by any number within range 2 to 9, it is not prime. 10 is divisible by numbers within that range, so it is not prime and returns false.

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    elif x >=2:
        for n in range(2,x-1) :
            if x%n == 0 :
                return False
        return True
    else:
        return False

This is really clear to me - thanks! I swapped your return and print statements though eg. for x = 1 it wasn’t printing.

Hi, I don’t understand why the return True is indented with the loop. Maybe you can help me understand.
Thanks

Yeah, why is the return True before the last else indented? Is that like saying else and which loop is it for?
Thanks