6. is_prime is frustrating me

Okay. So I have tried everything. I have read through other questions and their solutions. I have added a flag. And nothing is working. I used to be able to get all the way to 4 without getting a logic error. So here's the code I have so far.

def is_prme(x):
    flag = 0
    if x < 2:
        flag = 0
    else:
        for n in range(2, x-1):
            if x % n != 0:
                flag = 1
            else:
                flag = 0
    if flag == 0:
        return False
    elif flag == 1:
        return True

I know the flag variable isn't technically necessary, but it was the only way for me to get anything returned at all.

Please Help Me

Hi,
First of all, let's fix the type in the first line:

to def_is_prime(x): :wink:

The next issue would be:

You shouldn't put it there, but indent it under the else, to control if the flag 1 or 0 after the loop, but only if it's 2 or greater than 2.

The next thing is, that you check if x % n is != 0 and change the flag to 1, but the loop goes on and so does the flag change. For example I use 9, so it will check through 9/2, 9/3, 9/4 and so on. So the flag will only take the last result of the modulo calculation.

Okay. So I have fixed the first few issues you mentioned. I see what you mean by the flag variable changing after each iteration. I'm not sure exactly how to fix that. Currently, my code is:

def is_prime(x):
    if x == 0:
        return False
    if x < 2:
        return False
    else:
        flag = 0
        for n in range(2, x-1):
            if x % n != 0:
                flag = 1
            else:
                flag = 0
        if flag == 0:
            return False
        elif flag == 1:
            return True

The response I get is "Oops, try again. Your function fails on is_prime(2). It returns False when it should return True." I tried switching around the true and false positions, and I get the same, but is_prime(4) responds true when it should return false. I'm wondering if I could take out the flag variable, because it is semi-redundant, but it is the only way I can get the code to return anything at all.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate the time you have taken to look and correct my code.

Alright. I have figured out what I have done wrong. Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome
Glad if I could help :smiley: