6. Correlated Subqueries 2 Example - question about syntax

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/sql-table-transformation/lessons/subqueries/exercises/correlated-ii

The example states that we want to order flights by giving them a sequence number based on time, by carrier.

The example syntax is:

SELECT carrier, id,
            (SELECT COUNT (*)
       FROM flights f
       WHERE f.id < flights.id
       AND f.carrier=flights.carrier) + 1
       AS flight_sequence_number
       FROM flights;

My question is - why do we want f.id to be less than flights.id? Why not equal to? If I change it to

WHERE f.id = flights.id
the flight_sequence_number is identical between all observations. Why is this? I can't wrap my head around why f.id needs to be less than flights.id. Thanks in advance for any help

Subscribing to this topic...
Maybe someone will be so kind to help us.
I actually cannot understand even how this sub-query +1 gets flight_sequence_number
(SELECT COUNT (*)
FROM flights f
WHERE f.id < flights.id

Subscribing to this topic...
Maybe someone will be so kind to help us.
I actually cannot understand even how this sub-query +1 gets flight_sequence_number
(SELECT COUNT (*)
FROM flights f
WHERE f.id < flights.id

To answer this you have just to remove the +1.

You will see that the sequence number of some flights is equal to 0. This is probably an increment to avoid having 0 for the flights which doesn't fill-up the condition:

WHERE f.id < flights.id
AND f.carrier=flights.carrier

While the condition

WHERE f.id < flights.id

is just used to filter the flights that have less distance than average... the operator (<) is used like (<>)
but since 'id' is unique you can just filter using (<)...
Why they filter ? I don't know :stuck_out_tongue:

I am trying to understand too, I hope this would help and correct me if I am wrong.

As I understand it (and it took me a while to get my head around it):

The f.carrier=flights.carrier filters for all the flights by the same carrier as the row of interest, so far so good. For the row containing the first (or only) flight by this carrier, there will be zero f.id which are less than this flights.id, so count + 1 = 1. For the second flight by this carrier, there will be one f.id which is less than this flights.id, making count + 1 = 2. For the third, 3 etc.

I hope that helps!

George

Yeah that makes sense,
Thanks pogeo :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.