5 git merge

Having trouble getting past part 1. I get part 1 correct but can't get part 2 to work..... Please HELP !
Copy of code and error message below:

You are on your local master branch. In your commit history, the commit message of the HEAD commit is:

Add first question to Physics quiz

From the terminal, merge with origin/master, where Sally's most recent commits are.

Notice the output:

Updating a2ba090..bc87a1a
Fast-forward
biology.txt | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

Git has performed a "fast-forward" merge, bringing your local master branch up to speed with Sally's most recent commit on the remote.
Print the commit history.

Error Message : Did you merge origin/master into your local master branch?

@landen_lewis I'm sorry you're having trouble with the second step. Let's see if we can get you through it.

So long as you're on the master branch of the my-quizzes cloned repository, you should be able to get through step 2 with:

git merge origin/master

This command will merge origin/master into your local master branch so that your repository is updated and thus mirrors the remote.

Good luck!

this is the error I get when I type in git merge origin/master !. What am I doing wrong?

$ git cd my-quizzes

git: 'cd' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
add
$ git merge origin/master
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
$

@landen_lewis, cd is a Bash command, not a Git command. That's why Git is not recognizing it.

Just enter:

cd my-quizzes

For that first step. That will get you inside the my-quizzes clone and you should be good to go.

what you have to do is git fetch origin then git merge origin/master

Exactly that !! thanks

I need help with this one guys, really badly its not letting me merge the origin and master branches and its driving me crazy!!!!!!

A post was split to a new topic: I do: cd my-quizzes it says 'no such file or directory'

A post was split to a new topic: The error shows: "merge: origin/master - not something we can merge"

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.