4. digit_sum

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/0/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

Oops, try again. Does your digit_sum function take exactly one argument (a positive integer)? Your code threw a "'int' object is not iterable" error.

I thought I have made my argument positive: x > 0

def digit_sum(n):
    for x in n:
        x > 0 and type(x) == int
        n += x
    return n

you have to first convert n to strng , so that you can add the digits, which is the goal of this excercise.

I've tried this:

def digit_sum(n):
for x in n:
n = str(n)
x > 0 and type(x) == int
n += x
return n

It still returns an error.

here:

for x in n:

n is still a integer, integers aren't iterable (can't be looped over)

that is why you need the string conversion, your string conversion is done too late

Ok, now I get this part. Currently my code is as follows:

def digit_sum(n):
    n = str(n)
    for x in n:
        x > 0 and type(x) == int
        n += x
    return n

and it gives the error:
Oops, try again. Your function fails on digit_sum(434). It returns 434434 when it should return 11.

this line:

x > 0 and type(x) == int

it doesn't do anything, given there is no if keyword, even if there was, its not relevant, x is a string

You need to to convert to integer before adding to total, speaking of total, total is missing? You just add to n which already contains 434, why?

Thanks for help, but instead of trying to fix it i wrote it anew. I couldn't follow the logic which led me there in the first place :). That is what worked eventually:
def digit_sum(n):
n = str(n)
suma = 0
for x in n:
suma += int(x)
return suma

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.