4. digit_sum - How to do the challenge?

Okay so I figured out how to get the answer they are looking for

def digit_sum(n):
    x = str(n)
    n = 0
    for y in x:
        n += int(y)
    return n

However, I looked into the hint box and there is a challenge where it asks you to use modulo and floor division

If you're looking for a challenge, try this: to get the rightmost digit of a number, you can modulo (%) the number by 10. To remove the rightmost digit you can floor divide (//) the number by 10. (Don't worry if you're not familiar with floor division—you can look up the documentation here. Remember, this is a challenge!)
Try working this into a pattern to isolate all of the digits and add them to a total.

I am wondering how this would be done? My thoughts is that you would probably want to use a for/if-break loop. to take the numbers seperately, add them into a variable and break once your it hits a 0. But I have no idea how I would get it to loop once as

x % 10

then the next time it loops do

(x // 10) % 10

and then continue to add ") // 10)" until it breaks by receiving '0'.
I'm not sure if I have completely over thought this or if I am totally on the wrong track. Help would be appreciated more than a straight answer, but if you can explain the answer that would be fine aswell.

Well, we don't know how many digits are in the given number so it might be just easier to use the while loop.

And you want to iterate as long as x is different than 0.

And in every iteration you just need to add to the sum the last digit (using x % 10) and cut it off (using x // 10).

Wow!!! Thank-you. That helped out so much!
The way I worked it out with your advice was I figured out that all I wanted it to do was

n = 1234
x = n % 10
y = n // 10
z = y % 10
a = y // 10
b = a % 10
c = a // 10
d = x + z + b + c

Basically wanting it to save the n % 10 each time, and then continue doing the loop on whatever the answer for n // 10 was. So I wrote this

def digit_sum(n):
    p = 0
    while n != 0:
       x = n % 10
       n = n // 10
       p += x
    return p

Does that seem simple enough? Is there another way around this problem? the while loop was definitely more simple than my for/if-break idea. So is that the same way you would solve the problem?

You're very welcome :slight_smile:

Very good code! :slight_smile: I have only a one, minor comment - object x is not really necessary. You can just do:

def digit_sum(n):
    p = 0
    while n != 0:
       p += n % 10
       n = n // 10
    return p

So is that the same way you would solve the problem?

This is a perfectly fine solution, really. I would probably use a list comprehension and the sum function:

def digit_sum(n):
  return sum([int(x) for x in str(n)])

This code might seem complicated, but it's really not, you will learn about list comprehension in the section advanced topics in python.

Oh that makes so much sense, I always seem to add too many things. I'll finish a lesson and then come on to the forums to see people finishing it and they always seem to shrink my code in some way!

I think I partially understand what it is doing, I am excited again to move on and eventually get the the advanced topics!

Thank-you again.

good code, and why we need [ , it`s working like it too:

return sum(int(x) for x in str(n))

@jefferson95 You're very welcome, again :slight_smile: Good luck with next exercises!

@chipninja36564 Thank you :slight_smile:

There is a small difference between my solution and code posted by you. I have used a list comprehension and your code uses a generator expression.

The first one will create a new list in the memory. The second one creates a generator that yields the next elements of the list, but the execution of the generator requires a separate execution frame.

When we are concerned about the memory usage (very long list) we should use the generator expression. If this is not the case -> list comprehension is usually faster.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.