4/5 digit_sum error. I made the code, It gives me the right answer but Codeacademy wont accept it

My code works fine (i think) but codeacademy simply won't let me pass the level, I print the result the code returns to be sure im getting what i want... and It works! But codeacademy gives me errors like "Oops, try again. Your function fails on digit_sum(1000). It returns 12 when it should return 1."

I think it should work... Can someone help me? Why does it give me an error? Does codeacademy just dont like me?

num = []

def digit_sum(n):
    n = str(n)
    for x in n:
        num.append(x) 
        total = 0
    print num           #num now contains each digit
    for x in num:       
        total += int(x)
    print total
    return total        #returns the sum of the digits

place this line:

num = []

inside the function

the exercise calls the function multiply times with different numbers to test if it works properly, because num is declared outside the function, the lists doesn't become empty for the next number/function call.

Worked perfectly, thanks!!!

what i don't understand is why you first append to a list, rather then adding to total directly:

def digit_sum(n):
    total = 0
    n = str(n)
    for x in n:
         total += int(x)
    return total

it is basically the same, except you skip an (unnecessary) step, and saving on some lines of code

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.