4.4 Thith Meanth War: Setting up the "if" branch P1: .downcase vs .downcase!

Exercise: Thith Meanth War! | Setting Up the 'If' Branch, Part 1

Context:

Hi, the following code works even if the user inputs a string that is already all lowercase:

print "Thome input pleathe."
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!
print "We got an s!!" if user_input.include? "s"

I was tempted to try:

user_input = gets.chomp.downcase!

But this results in error if the user inputs a string that is already all lowercase, because .downcase! returns nil for such input, and assigns nil to user_input, causing an error at the if statement. This I understand.

So my question is why codeacademy insists on using .downcase!, when the following could work:

user_input = gets.chomp.downcase

Question: Here is my guess, can someone please tell me if I am right?

My guess is that because .downcase! modifies in-place,

user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!

saves on memory, whereas

user_input = gets.chomp.downcase

while more elegant, wastes memory by creating a copy of the string, which is modified by .downcase, and then assigned to user_input. Is this correct? Thanks in advance...

Uses memory, I"ll go with. Wastes memory only applies to naive solutons that don't validate user inputs before applying class based methods.

We could for instance jerry-rig the program to always have an uppercase letter before applying downcase!, then remove it afterward. Of course this would take some work. If we thought we could simply toss a bone to this one, we were wrong.

> user_input = ((gets.chomp + "Z").downcase!)[-2]

=> nil
 a
=> 97
 > user_input
=> 97
 Z
=> 122
 surprise
=> 101
 > user_input = ((gets.chomp + "Z").downcase!)[-1]
 surprise
=> 122
 > "surprise"[-2].chr
=> "s"

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.