***"PYTHON"[1] (always start counting from 0!)***
***"""***
***fifth_letter = "Y"[5]***

***print fifth_letter***

I tried everything but I cant do this right

fifth_letter=“MONTY”[4]

START COUNTING FROM 0

1 Like

Alright, I’m stuck on this too and I understand what it’s trying to say, but telling someone to start counting from zero and then asking him/her to find the fifth letter makes absolutely no sense. Regarding that rule, MONTY only has four letters and that is where most people are confused.

Well, in language arts and stuff, there are 5 letters in MONTY. Codecademy is just saying to find the fifth letter in MONTY, trying to fool you and making you put 5 instead of 4, which they shouldn’t have done, if they read the thing. :smiley:

Or something like that.:smiley:

So, is there no answer to this question? MONTY only has 5 letters, but you start counting with zero!!! NO SENSE! I don’t get this!

In coding, you start with 0.

M O N T Y
0 1 2 3 4

That’s how coding goes.:smile:

1 Like

Yes, but they output should be 4? So should I just put “Y” in the space?

So the output should be “Y”, yes. And you should put 4 in the space. A difference there. :wink:

The letter counts from 1 to 6, so the word has 6 letters. But the python stores the string with start index as zero.
so the count of python starts from 0. so the fifth letter is if we count from 1 is o, which is indexed at “PYTHON”[4] which prints the fifth letter O.I hope this is clear

So, it would be Mont4y?

Hey, can you show me your code first? That would make me be able to correct it faster.

MONTY = “Y”[0]
fifth_letter = “MONTY”[4]

print fifth_letter

It was the big long comment that messed me up. All you have to do is put. “MONTY” [4]