[#331] Firewall filtering changes needed to make Codecademy Work

bug-reported
connecting

I work in a school in Buckinghamshire, England and we would like to use Codecademy to teach Python and other languages. I can log in and start a Python tutorial but then it hangs and I just get a spinning wheel. I have unblocked a number of URL's including

external-production.codecademy.com
cdn-production.codecademy.com
terminal.com
herokuapp.com
fonts.gstatic.com
cdn.mxpnl.com
js-agent.newrelic.com

but it is still happening. It works fine on a school computer on an ADSL line, so it looks as if the problem is caused by the firewall at our ISP.
Are there any other URLs, port or protocols that need to be unblocked to allow codecademy to work?
Diane

Unable to connect to codecademy

Hi Diane,

I don't have any more suggestions for you besides the ones that you've already tried. I'll send in a bug report for this, hopefully there is someone @Codecademy who can help get you connected.

Could I get a screenshot of your webpage when you are at the spinning wheel please?

Also, they like to have the following info for bug reports:

• operating system
  • browser version
  • ad blocker?

Hi,

The operating system is Windows 7 and I have tried it in Internet Explorer 11 (v11.0.9600.18282) and the latest version of Google Chrome (v50.0.2661.94 m) and get the same screen with both. We don't have an ad blocker.

I have tried to upload a screenshot of the spinning wheel, but I get a message saying that new users cannot upload attachments. I am also unable to paste a screenshot into the editor. Is there another way that I can get it to you?

Thanks for your help with this.

Diane

Hi Diane,

I've manually changed your Trust Level. You should be able to add your screenshot now.

Hi,
Thanks for the update.
I have now uploaded a screenshot of the spinning wheel.
Diane

Spinning wheel.pdf (247.7 KB)

Thanks Diane. I've added the screenshot to the bug report. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything back.