30 - Days to work on improving my skills

I have been completing a masters degree in Bioinformatics and I realized I truly love working with data. However, since I have a science background, getting into the data industry has been a bit tricky. I am committing to 30 days of coding to increase my skill level and to help me get on my way to creating a portfolio of work so that I can show my skills to potential employers. I generally don’t participate in forums but I am hoping that posting this will help me to stick to it and really work hard to learn and start moving forward with a career path that I really love.

5 Likes

I just took a unix/programming class meant for bioinformatics majors. It seems like a pretty useful skill set to have.

I have to say that your instinct is correct in keeping contact with some forums (not just these), as some areas of the topics are obscure to find precisely in reference material (books, videos) if you don’t know where to look. I’ve left some links for resources below (not necessary but you may find them useful). I’ll add that it helps to know the command-line and some basic regex.

Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist — How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python 3

Bash: Bash Guide for Beginners

2 Likes

Thanks for the resources!! I look forward to improving my coding!