3. is_int

def is_int(x):
    if type(x) == int:
        return True
    else:
        return False

I know i am doing something wrong (hence not letting me through)
But can someone explain me why this is wrong?

Is_int

because that would be very simple and not a challenge? For this challenge, negative numbers (-7) and floats with decimal zero (2.0) should also be considered integer. they are not considered integers by int

You have to test one more thing?
Back to theory of lesson..

For the purpose of this lesson, we'll also say that a number with a decimal part that is all 0s is also an integer, such as 7.0.

This means that, for this lesson, you can't just test the input to see if it's of type int.

so you have to also test for numbers like 3.00, 5.00, 5.000...meaning if a number have it's decimal part = 0, you have to return True.

Still cant figure it out, i feel like i rely on this forum way too much

what do you have so far?

i don't have figure it out, I know

What is your question?

Without creating a separate Hint section, they included the hint at the bottom of the description:

"If the difference between a number and that same number rounded down is greater than zero, what does that say about that particular number?"

Can you figure out a way to test for that?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Is_int

This could be done using several ways. I think the key is to determine if x equals to int(x).

if x == int(x):
return True

OR

elif abs(x-int(x))==0:
return True

From my understanding, the point of this forum is to help educate and guide students into the correct direction when solving a problem. As a moderator, I would have expected more than just "Cause that would be too simple?" from you. I could have helped him better and I am struggling with this problem too. I have seen some of your other posts and they do seem to be more criticizing than educational at times.

It took me a while to figure out myself, but I eventually got it. Python will normally classify any number with a decimal as a float even if the decimal is 0. The lesson wants you to create a function that tests if a number is a float or an int, and it wants you to classify a given number that ends with ".0" as an int. "If the difference between a number and that same number rounded down is greater than zero, what does that say about that particular number?" Think about that question.
For example, if x equals 7.5, then 7.5 minus 7 (or x rounded down) would equal 0.5, which is greater than zero. That means that number is a float. I used that principle to get the answer. What helped me was to research how to use the round() function.

Thanks for the effort, but that was more of a rhetorical question to try to help the original poster. Thuesen has already tried to use a simple integer test, but as was previously stated, that is not in the spirit of the exercise.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.