3. is_int

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/0/3?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

I'm not sure what to think here. I didn't think this code would be correct and I'm almost certain it's incorrect yet the console passed it as correct. After reading through the exercise text did I do what it says you can't do? I really have to stop doing this when it's late and I'm tired.

def is_int(x):
    if x == int(x):
        return True
    else:
        return False

your code is absolutely correct.you aren't checking whether it's integer or not,you make the variable integer.

It's correct? It isn't wrong? The code, from my understanding, is just checking if x is the same as the integer version of x so if x is 4.4 ...... oh, I'm comparing 4.4 to see if it's the same as 4.

I don't know how I stumbled into that when it feels so wrong. I searched and found nothing like my solution and the most common seems to be the following since any number leaving a remainder isn't an integer.

def is_int(x):
    if x % 1 == 0:
        return True
    else:
        return False

It's too correct.
what does the instruction want?

Have it return True if the number is an integer (as defined above) and False otherwise

from lesson:

For the purpose of this lesson, we'll also say that a number with a decimal part that is all 0s is also an integer.

so simply it'll only be True if the decimal part is 0 that's what we want.isn't it?

also there are a lot of way to achieve this.

hello! Is any code possible in these exercise with the given definition that is of carried out difference .I have tried one :
def is_int(x):
if abs(x)-(abs(x/2)*2)==0:
return Trbue
else:
return False
is_int(5.5)

I could be tripping (I have a tendency to make simple errors), but I'm pretty sure that regardless of what float or integer you set your variable to

if abs(x) - (abs(x/2) * 2) == 0:
     return True

will literally always return true.

Again, I could be tripping, but I think the absolute value of x (for floats and integers) will always be equal to abs(x/2) * 2, so those terms would always cancel each other out.

import math

def is_int(x):
if abs(x) -abs(math.floor(x)) == 0:
return True
else:
return False
absolute value of x - absolute value of the number before the , what you think?

import math
def is_int(x):
    if math.fabs(x)-math.fabs(int(x))>0:
        return False
    else:
        return True

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.