3. is_int. I Absolutely cannot for the love of god figure out how to do this

Even after an hour straight looking into the Q&A's hoping to find some good explanations i still have no idea at all on how to make this thing work!

Please Help.

Please post your code, so that we can help you. :slight_smile:

haha that's just the thing. Since I dont know how , i havent got anything written.
the only thing i guess i'd have written is

def is_int(x):

I ain't got anything else. i just cant figure out what to do

but there are plenty of topics:

https://discuss.codecademy.com/search?q=int%20category%3A147

here is some functions you can use:

abs
int

A post was split to a new topic: 3. is int

Although my knowledge is still little for programming. This is how I took this lesson:
This will be step by step and may come across dumbed down in parts - however it's for best explination in my opinion.

it is mainly asking you to define a function that will check to see if a number is a interger or not [whole number].
How I personally went about this was:

first define the function -

def is_int(x) -

is_int - being the function itself
(x) - being the number that it would read from

Next it asks you to put a If statement to compare if it's True or False.
The way I went about this is, since it is asking to see if it is a interger - I checked this by comparing X to the number 1.
By doing this it will always compare it as a whole number being positive or negative.

I wrote this line as followed:

if x % 1 == 0:

x - number in function
% 1 == 0 - this states if x is divisible by 1 and there is no remainder [making it equal to 0] then run the next line.
Which the next line would be:

return true - because if it comes back as 0 remainder it means the statement was true haha.

then just finish up with else: return false.

Full code below:

def is_int(x):
if x % 1 == 0:
return True
else:
return False

print is_int(0) - This was just to call my function to test it, the number can be any number.

One of my first posts so bare with the length.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.