3. Error msg: Add the class "pull-left", or "pull-right"

A common cause of this error message is adding more ul elements to your page instead of adding a class.

You should only have two ul elements but maybe you added more and now you have four. When the instructions said to add a class to the first <ul> element you instead created a whole new ul element.

This exercise is trying to get you to add a class: class="pull-left" or class="pull-right" to each of your existing <ul> elements, it isn't expecting you to add a new ul element.

There is no need to delete or replace your existing <ul> elements, the exercise is asking you to add a class to your existing elements.

This is probably a good time to make sure you understand that there are elements, like p, ul, li, div and these elements have attributes, like class. Here are links to refresh your memory: ul is an element, class is an attribute.

You don't need to delete, replace or recreate an element in order to add an attribute to it, just add it!

add a pull-left class

Where do you put the <ul class: pull-right> in?
3/4 - Help what the heck am I doing wrong?
Stuck on Make a Website: Bootstrap
What's wrong with my code? Navigation, lesson 3 Please paste the right answer!
Step 3
What is wrong here I am on "Navigation"
I cant seem to figure out what i did wrong
3/14 error message
Error Message : Add the class "pull-right" to the second ul element
I put pull left but the message says to put it
Common Mistakes neighborhood guides Grid(5) , Thumbnails(7) "Make a bootstrap website"

Thanks so much this is so helpful especially the pic.

Thank you. This explained exactly how to fix the problem I was having. I had the UL element. Then made another UL with the class. As explained above...just add the class to the element...duhhh. I'll face palm and keep going :smile: Thanks again.

4 posts were split to a new topic: 3. I didn't add a new ul element but still got an error message

thank you so so much ive been sat for 30 min trying to get it to work

Just read this post, thanks

Thank you albionsrefuge for an informative and helpful post :smile:

3 posts were split to a new topic: 3/14 Error msg: Add the class “pull-left”, or “pull-right”

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bootstrap #3 navigation - keep getting "add the class "pull-right" to the second ul element

Thank you - big help. Got stuck here too.

The same thing is happening to me. You probably already know that all the ul elements are supposed to appear on the same line, but when we type exactly what the site advises us to, it goes on to separate lines. Although something is wrong, when you save and submit code the site says "way to go"...Could you tell us what we are doing wrong?

Are you looking at the small preview web view? Have you tried the Full Screen button?

3. error

2 posts were split to a new topic: 3. I have looked over it dozens of time but I cannot get through!

Thank you very much! I was getting frustrated with this one. Didn't realize I didn't need another ul element.

Thanks a lot, i should read more than twice next time!

i had hyphens but still got the error plz help

Yes I can. Copy/paste/format all of your HTML code in here where I can see it.

:green_heart: How to post code in this forum.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>

<head>
    <link href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/codecademy-content/courses/ltp/css/shift.css" rel="stylesheet">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/codecademy-content/courses/ltp/css/bootstrap.css">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css">

</head>

<body>
    <div class="nav">
      <div class="container">
        <ul>
          <ul class='pull-left'>
          <li><a href="#">Name</a></li>
          <li><a href="#">Browse</a></li>
        </ul>
        <ul>
          <ul class"pull-right">
          <li><a href="#">Sign Up</a></li>
          <li><a href="#">Log In</a></li>
          <li><a href="#">Help</a></li>
        </ul>
      </div>
    </div>

<div class="jumbotron">
      <div class="container">
        <h1>Find a place to stay.</h1>
        <p>Rent from people in over 34,000 cities and 192 countries.</p>
        <a href="#">Learn More</a>
      </div>
    </div> 

<div class="learn-more">
      <div class="container">
        <div>
          <div>
            <h3>Travel</h3>
            <p>From apartments and rooms to treehouses and boats: stay in unique spaces in 192 countries.</p>
            <p><a href="#">See how to travel on Airbnb</a></p>
          </div>
          <div>
            <h3>Host</h3>
            <p>Renting out your unused space could pay your bills or fund your next vacation.</p>
            <p><a href="#">Learn more about hosting</a></p>
          </div>
          <div>
            <h3>Trust and Safety</h3>
            <p>From Verified ID to our worldwide customer support team, we've got your back.</p>
            <p><a href="#">Learn about trust at Airbnb</a></p>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

Hi @legowegogo,

This exercise is trying to get you to add a class: class="pull-left" or class="pull-right" to each of your existing <ul> elements, it isn't expecting you to add those new ul elements.