3/19 Make a list and 4/19 Check it twice

Here's my code and I got an "Oops, try again. It looks like the rows are not represented as lists," I must figure this out?

board = []
for os in range(0,5):
    board.append(os)
    print ["O"] * 5

Second try got same "Oops, try again. It looks like the rows are not represented as lists.":

board = []
for os in range(5):
    board.append("O")
    print ["O"] * 5

Third try it passed but is this correct?

board = []
for os in range(5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)
    print os

Printed to console:

None

Here's another one that will pass but I'm not sure if this is how it's suppose to look?

board = []
for os in range(5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)
    print board

It prints this to console:

[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
None

Here's another and I think this one is the correct one?

board = []
for os in range(5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)
print board

It prints:

[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
None

I've been messing around with this and I have got it to appear in top, middle, bottom of the console screen. I really don't know which one is right but moving on anyway.

board = []
for os in range(5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)
    print board

Is alright, but in this lesson you don't need to print anything.
My code is:

board = []
for i in range(5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)

If you want to print out the board, do it outside of the loop, otherwise you print it out too often, and before it is complete.

Yeah I'm on 4/19(It tells you "Use the print command to display the contents of the board list.")and moving on like I said, wish I knew which one was correct?

I guess that question is irrelevant since 5/19 tells you to use a for loop to place on a different line. LOL WOW!

thanks eveat...:grin: ..good and simple code

good post, I was stuck by this section.

I originally think just repeat 5 "O" in board, but that's wrong, board is a list which it have 5 sublist that have 5 "O"

so , the right code is :

board = []
for i in range(5):
board.append(["O"]*5)

board=[]

for i in range(5):
    board.append((["O"] * 5))

print board

I believe I have missed a lot of content codeacademy had to offer due to the fact I wasn't running the issues in a seperate interpreter. In this case I use a text editor and save it in the folder where my powershell opens(using windows 7) and run it from there. Please let me know if there is a faster way to run it. Personally I need the extra visualization to wrap my head around it. Thanks for all your support in the forums.

The lines below help with visualizing the board.

for row in board:
print row

The 'print row' line is suppose to be indented.... Can't get it to show as indented on this thread...

If you installed python on your PC, you should already have the IDLE IDE.

Right click on a .py file and selecet "Edit with IDLE". Inside IDLE you can run a saved program by pressing F5 or using the menu at the top.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

I got a question, if the range(stop) function does not include the stop, why do we type range(5) if we want to generate 5 grids?
it's correct i just don't understand why

range(5) returns a list with 5 numbers. 5 is not included but 0 is.

If have a question about the for loop. You define:
for i in range(5)

however, there is no i in:
board.append("O" * 5)

Can someone explain to me what Python does here exactly? Thanks!

Here is the right code:

board = []
for i in range(5):
board.append(["O"] * 5)
result = ["0"] * 5
print result
print board