3/19 - Function is passing but not sure if correct

I'm on step 3 (Make a list) of Battleship! and I have code that is getting the green light but I am not sure if it is correct and would like to understand better.

My code is below. I'm getting 5 rows of O's, however I don't believe it's storing the output into my emtpy "board" list.

board = []
for i in range(0,5):
   i = ['O']*5

print i

Any suggestions or further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

you are not storing the rows in your board. .append() i(which contains your row) toboard list

Hi, thanks for answering so quickly. When I add board.append(i) and print board inside the loop, my output looks like:

[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]

board = []
for i in range(0,5):
   i = ['O']*5
   board.append(i)
   print board

yes, that is good :slight_smile:

Or do you have any questions about it?

because you put print board inside the loop, you see the board being build, one row being added a time, in the end, your board has 5 rows

Ah, now I understand. I'm seeing each iteration of the loop be put inside my board list. I was confused on how the output should look. I thought it was supposed to display simply the last line, with 5 rows of O's.

well, you can achieve that by simply placing print board outside the loop, then the board will be printed only after be constructed

i think you understand, you can progress to the next exercise, where you will make a function to print the board pretty so you can present it nicely to the user

Yes, I understand now. Thank you so much for your time and help! :+1: