2nd question in this exponent excercise

I don’t really get the 2nd question in this exponent excercise. Could anyone help me understand :neutral_face:

Hey! Could you please tell us what the 2nd question is? Not all of us have pro :smirk:

sorry. Here it is.

Using the exponent operator, print out how many squares you’ll need for a 6x6 quilt, a 7x7 quilt, and an 8x8 quilt.

Your 6x6 quilts have taken off so well, 6 people have each requested 6 quilts. Print out how many tiles you would need to make 6 quilts apiece for 6 people.

2 Likes

And you are asking what the question means right?

Yes. It looks like i have to frame a calculation but couldn’t understand the question context.

So the question is that 6 unique people each want 6 quilts. The tiles are 6x6, so the area of one quilt is 36 tiles. You need 36 different tiles for each quilt so the answer is 36x36. Now, since the exercise needs it to be in exponents, we put it into exponents. Do you understand that? Or maybe more like, can you put 36x36 into exponents?

3 Likes

Yeah. I got it. :+1: Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for this :blush:

1 Like

We know that exponents add up, right? Looking at 36 * 36 we can express it as, 6 ** 2 * 6 ** 2. Since the bases are the same we can add the exponents.

2 + 2 == 4

36 * 36 == 6 ** 4

Twist this around in the wind for a while.

The `root of x to the a`, is equal to, `x to the root of a`.
>>> (6 ** 4) ** 0.5 == 6 ** (4 ** 0.5)
True
>>> 

Looks to be some associativity here in terms of which we compute first in order of operations.

Where can we go once we extrapolate this to rational exponents? It is what we are dealing with in the case of 6 ** 3, etc.

To get any root we are dealing with a rational exponent, like it or not.

So bring on the fractions that were so hated in junior high/fifth form. They become the savior in this math abstract. The square root of six to the third, is six to the three over two.

3 Likes