26. Arrays of Objects (JS why printing last item?)

Hi folks,

I got my code to work but I'm just wondering why in an array the last object get's printed as though there is a console.log(). Can anyone please explain?

My code:
// Our person constructor
function Person (name, age) {
this.name = name;
this.age = age;
}

// Now we can make an array of people
var family = new Array();
family[0] = new Person("alice", 40);
family[1] = new Person("bob", 42);
family[2] = new Person("michelle", 8);
// add the last family member, "timmy", who is 6 years old
family[3] = new Person("timmy", 6);
family[3] = new Person("tommy", 3);

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Alex

The value of the last executed statement is always printed to the console. You can just ignore that.

An assignment returns the assignend value.

@eveat, thanks for your reply. I guess I'm just being obsessive, but I was hoping there was a 'logical' reasoning for why the last statement is printed. Does it have to do with it's position in the code?

Is it because it is last statement in a specific type of situation? I thought typically 'return' wouldn't print and that a console.log() was typically required to print a statement to the console. 'Returning' a statement is executing it, right? But 'returning' the last statement doesn't always seem to result in printing it.

I hope I'm explaining this right. Thanks again!
Alex

Yes it is always the value of the last statement that is reached.

It's similar to when a function returns something with the return keyword.

var my_variable = 10;
console.log(my_variable = 2);

The my_variable = 2 part assignes a new value to my_variable, but it also "gives back" the value of the assignment to conoloe.log(). So this program would print 2 to the console.

It would even do this without the console.log() part because of the last reached statement thing.

Thanks @eveat, sounds good :slight_smile: