23. Private variables

I can't follow the instructions in this exercise. They seem to be asking for us to simply create a new object, but I assume that we need to make that object inherit from the object 'person', as we saw in previous exercises. Please help!

function Person(first,last,age) {
this.firstname = first;
this.lastname = last;
this.age = age;
var bankBalance = 7500;
}

function John(name, age){
this.name = name;
this.age = age;
}

john.prototype = new Person();

var john = {
name: "John",
}

You lost me at,

Just what is expected from this? What follows is even more questionable. I'm confused. Can you walk us through this, please?

Well I'm mainly following syntax from the previous exercises because I'm feeling a bit lost as the instructions are vague. At first I just created a simple object:

var john = {
name: "John",
}

because this is all the instructions ask for. But then I considered that the variable john needs to inherit from person, so I followed from syntax in the previous exercise. I think that the john function and the prototype code should enable 'john' to inherit from 'person', but this is partly guesswork because I have no structure to work with.

What you have there is a plain object. Your question deals with something much more complex than that. Have we missed a step or two here?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.