2. If / else if / else - Got it right; but don't understand why :(

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/javascript-beginner-en-qDwp0/0/2?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661

I am trying to understand isNaN(number) -- don't we want to say, in plain english:

"if isNaN returns true then write "Not a number (or similar)!"

so I thought it would be as such:

else if ( isNaN(number) = true) {
return "Not a number!"
}

but how come:

else if (isNan(number)) {
return "Not a number!"
}

... works just the same? I can't understand this logic, please help!

Thanks in advance!

var isEven = function(number) {
  // Your code goes here!
  if (number%2 === 0) {
      return true;
  }
  else if (isNaN(number)=true) {
      return ("Put a number in here dude!");
  }
  else {
      return false;
  }
};

this is invalid:

else if ( isNaN(number) = true)  {
return "Not a number!"
}

it should result in a error: ReferenceError: invalid assignment left-hand side

if you want to compare, use two or three equal signs, a single equal sign is assign.

so your question is why are both isNaN(number) == true and isNaN(number) the same?

take a look at this condition:

if (true){  console.log("perfectly valid");}

see? A boolean is perfectly valid for a if condition, and isNaN is a function, which returns true or false, so you don't have to compare it with true. You may of course, but it isn't strictly necessary.

First of all, thanks for your time stetim94, okay so am I understanding this properly:

it is implicitly understood that any function is true?

isNaN(number)

another question:

but we need to be explicit if we need a function to be false? so for example in this case would be:

isNaN(number) = false

if you can elaborate on that, that would be awesome - thanks again for all your help

no, isNaN is a build in function, but no different from a function you can write using the function keyword. The person who build the isNaN (is not a number) function decided to return true if the argument (in this case number) is not a number, if it is a number, false is returned.

well, that would always be false, since you use a single equal sign (which means assign), use two equal sings to compare the result of isNaN(number) with false

ok, I think I understand, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.