2/9 the open() function

I DID get the right answer.

class Point3D(object):
    def __init__(self, x, y, z):
        self.x = x
        self.y = y
        self.z = z
    return "(%d, %d, %d)" % (self.x, self.y, self.z)

my_point = Point3D(1, 2, 3)

print my_point

what i want to know is why everything fed to open() must be in string form?

Hi, @benley_maniac,

The code you posted applies to a different exercise from the one that presents the open function.

To open a file, you must supply the file name. It must be a string, however, you can use a variable or other expression to supply that name, if you want, provided that the value represents a valid file name. The mode must also be a string, but again, it can be any expression that resolves to a valid mode.

ok, maybe I didn't get the right answer...

actually, I probably just pasted the wrong code. :smile:
thanks.

but the question was why in STRING form, when every other function can accept any form (except for type specific functions of course) IE, this is the only function I know of where you have to CHANGE everything into a string, even things that are not strings.

What am I doing wrong? I am getting th error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "python", line 1, in
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'output.txt'

Here is my code:

my_file = open("output.txt", "r+")

A teacher came to help me, so now it's solved, but I still don't know why it doesn't work:

my_file = open("output.txt", "w")

Why do you have to open the file with "w" mode before doing it with "r+" mode ?

I believe that's because when you open a file in Python with "w" or "a", it will create the file if it doesn't exist. "r" only reads the file in the working directory - it will not create the file if it doesn't exist. The problem with this section is likely because they don't have the file existing in the working directory.

In the hint , it says "r+" is write and read mode.
So 'r+' mode can write but still can not create a file?

I'm confused by this as well. 'w' just writes the file, so 'r+' should do what 'w' does in addition to the read feature.

Is this a bug? Seems like r+ would've been enough to complete the exercise. The lesson doesn't say all these exercises have to begin with the 'w' line of code.

The solution is simply to open the file in the write mode ("w") and then open it in the read mode("r"), I have no idea why this should be done but at least it works for me.

@javapro67515 your code works for me. But still I'm confused why I have to use the "W" function as it was not in the instruction. But thanks for your code.

Happy Coding :slightly_smiling:

ive tried it now without the opening output "r+" and it works!