18/18.Using a list of list in function, how to use """for i in range(0,len())""" to achieve goal? Thx!

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-nzzVa/4/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "python", line 10, in
File "python", line 6, in flatten
TypeError: range() integer end argument expected, got list.

I want to use """for i in range(0,len())""" instead of """for numbers in lists""" and """for number in numbers""" to achieve the goal.
it seems like i can't easily use """lists[i][j]""",and there might be something else wrong in the code.
how to achieve that?
thanks a lot!

Replace this line with your code. 
n = [[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]]
# Add your function here
def flatten(lists):
    results = []
    for i in range(0,len(lists)):
        for j in range(0,lists[i]):
            results.append(lists[i][j])
    return results

print flatten(n)

This line has the mistake:

for j in range(0,lists[i]):

the range method expects both arguments to be integer. But the second argument (lists[i]) is not an integer but a list in itself (remember that each element of lists is a list itself). Hence the error.

To fix this, you can add the len method here - for j in range(0,len(lists[i])):

Btw, a shorter way to write your code would be:

for sub_list in lists:
    for elm in sub_list:
        results.append(elm)

since you don't care about the index, and all you need is the element itself, using range is extra effort.

Thank you very much.
You answered my question. Problem comes from argument in range() should all be int.
What I exactly want to do is to consider the situation when I need to care about the index.

Then you would need to use the range method. Also, have a look at the enumerate function :slight_smile:

thank you again!
And you gave me a good learning website! :wink: