17/19 Cannot identify error

For the life of me i cannot pass the function review section, I just cant identify my error in the following code, apparently there is a syntax error on the 2nd last line. Could someone please give this a look?
Many thanks.

def shut_down(s):
return s

if s == 'yes':
    return 'Shutting Down'
elif s == 'no':
    return 'Shutdown Aborted'
else s == 'yes' or 'no':
    return 'Sorry'

The last ELSE is what the program does if the IF or ELIF conditions are not met. You don't have to give it condition "else s == 'yes' or 'no'" because that's obviously true else the program wouldn't have gotten to that point and would have just returned "Shutting down" or "Shutdown aborted"

Think of it as a tree.

IF "CONDITION1" > DO THIS > END
v
ELSE IF "CONDITION2" > DO THIS > END
v
ELSE > DO THIS > END

Notice if it gets to ELSE there is no condition for it, It just does stuff if IF or ELSE IF conditions aren't met.

you could also put another elif there, instead of an else (but I wouldn't recommend that in this case :slightly_smiling: ), but I think you wanted to check else s != 'yes' or 'no', because you want to check if it's neither of them (otherwise it would do the same check as the if and elif above :smiley: .

You could also try:

if s == 'yes':
    return 'Shutting Down'
elif s == 'no':
    return 'Shutdown Aborted'
elif s != 'yes' or 'no':
    return 'Sorry'

If you want to do it with else, you should consider the way gsergiu told you, to use "else" properly :slightly_smiling: