n = ["Michael", "Lieberman"]
def join_strings(words):
    result=""
    for i in range(len(words)):
        result=result.append(words[i])
    return result

print join_strings(n)

got error: error: AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'append'
And when I saw the solution I realized that append works on lists and not strings! :slight_smile: I was stuck yesterday because the wording of the exercise confused me that I should use the append function! Just a reminder that append doesnt work with str, seems like. Also important to note is that if ur using the simpler method of for i in words: - you can use both result+=i and result+=words[i] but if ur using the more complicated range one you should always use result+=words[i]. Im just curious why it cant work without me pointing out that i is an index in words list? Some help?

`

well, if you use the range function, you will get numbers:

for i in range(len(n)):
   print i
   print n[i]

Then you can use the numbers to access the item at that particular item, python also allows you to use for in without range:

for i in n:
    print i

which will gives you the names directly

from what I understand, your supposed to use "result.join(words[i])"
however it doesn't seem to be working

however result += words[i] works

hmm, seem like another of codecademy's poorly worded exercises

This is the good things, there are multiply ways to solve the problem. If you want to append to a string you can use +=, but you can also use .join, but then you would have to use it correctly:

def join_strings(words):
    result =  "".join(words)
    return result
print join_strings(n)

Your join simple contains too many flaws. where you have result, that should be what should be used to join "" simply means nothing, "-" would have given Michael-Lieberman, and you can call join directly on a list, no need to loop it

Thanks for the great response, @stetim94

Follow-up question: Is there a way to use append in this context? If not, can you please explain specifically why it wouldn't work (and maybe where it would be applicable)?_

you could concat/join the string together:But not with append, because the .append() function is only for lists.

you would get something like this:

def join_strings(words):
    x = ""
    for i in words:
        x += i
    return x

print join_strings(n)

you just join the string with +, just like you would do to join/concat a string for printing, except this time you store it in a variable. This is nothing new, right?

@stetim94 i tried what you wrote but my error message says "Oops, try again. string_function('Hello') returned 'H' instead of 'Helloworld'" In my output box it says "MichaelLieberman None"

What should I do?

From- @byteace83915

Please create a new topic with your code + error message + question, thank you.

as stetim94 said:

if you used result += words[i] it will join them to the the string without any spaces or flaws
but "".join(words) will join them with flaws and you can add any flaws you want

Thanks for your explanation on whether if you should use the .append() function in this exercise. (I had trouble with this exercise as well.) :slight_smile: