15. Iterating Over a List in a Function - Can't get the second method

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-nzzVa/3/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

I was trying out both methods for iterating. The first method I did yields the correct answer and it's as follows:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
-result = 0
-for i in numbers:
--result = result + i
-return result

print total(n)

But when I try the second method the numbers don't seem to add up. Here's the code:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
result = 0
-for i in range(len(numbers)):
--result = result + i
-return result

print total(n)

I get an error saying (Oops, try again. total([0, 3, 6]) returned 3 instead of 9).

Shouldn't the code range(len(numbers)) equal range(0,2) in this case and it should iterate through all the three numbers to return a sum? Gosh I'm so confused...

Thanks guys, any help is great!

Replace this line with your code.

range creates a list, when you iterate through a list, the loop variable will have each element of that list assigned to it, one at a time. So which list's elements are getting assigned to i? You can also print it out to see what happens.

i'm having the same problems.... got it with the 1st method, and im trying to find a fix for the second one.

I don't quite understand what @ionatan is trying to explain.

I think i got it...

when using only

for x in numbers

the result will be stored in the result.

but when using

for x in range(len(numbers)):

you have to specify the position of the number to add to the result?

ef total(numbers):
    result = 0
    for x in range(len(numbers)):
        result = numbers[x] + result
    return result

does that make sense???

My code looked like this minus the + result. Can you explain why you need to add result to make it work?

for x in range(len(numbers))

This will iterate through the parameter numbers (good so far)

result = numbers[x]

I thought this will take each number in the list and add it to the new list called result. But what does the + result do (result = numbers[x] + result)?

Thanks,

Melissa

hi,
when you have only
result = numbers[x]

what you are doing is only replacing the value o fthe variable "result" with whatever is stored in 'numbers[x]'. So that value is going to change with every iterarion.
But, when you have
result = numbers[x] + result

you are adding whatever value is stored in 'result' to the value of 'numbers[x]' in that given iteration. Therefore what your have is like a running total, the total sum of 'numbers[x]'.

is that more or less clear?

remember that variables can change numbers at any time:

x = 1
x = 4
print x

or

x = 1
x = x + 4
print x

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.