15/18 Iterating over a list in a function

Exercise 15/18:

I got stuck at this exercise, but managed to solve it at last. My goal was to be able to use both method 1 and method 2. See explanation to both methods below the code.

Method 1:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
    result = 0
    for i in range(len(numbers)):
        result += numbers[i]
    return result

print total(n)

Method 2:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
    result = 0
    for i in numbers:
        result += i
    return result

print total(n)

The difference between using the both:
I think it's beacuse range allows for looping through the index numbers, which in this case is up to, but not including 3. Index 0, 1, 2. Thus result += numbers[i] will be the same as result += n[index]. n[index] in turn represents the value at the given index in the n list. Basically, range allows for assigning the index numbers of a list to variable i.

Whilst when using for i in numbers:, the for loop will iterate through the actul values of the list to the variable i. Thereby we only need to write reseult += i.

I thought this could be useful for those who get stuck at this step. I'm new at programming, so please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

the correct way of saying this: range() gives us a list of numbers, which we perfectly match with the indexes of numbers list.

range() thankfully very friendly, it gives values lesser then (<) the stop value. so if we have a list which has 3 items, the length (thus the stop value) is 3, so values lesser then 3, which perfectly matches the indexes

Cool, thanks man. That makes much more sense :slight_smile:

it does, doesn't it? Range is a built in function, but of course designed to work nicely for lists indexes, but it is still a list:

def total(numbers):
    result = 0
    indexes = range(len(numbers))
    print indexes
    for i in indexes:
        result += numbers[i]
    return result

print total(n)

You have labelled your programs the wrong way round.
First program using the range() function is Method 2 and second program is Method 1 as per the unit instructions.

What does += do? I don't recall seeing that yet.

this must be covered? its a shorthand for:

result = result + numbers[i]

i am 99% sure this is covered

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.