15/15 median

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/2/5?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

"The program took too long to finish. Check your code for infinite loops and try again."

def median(x):
    a=[]
    b=0
    c=0
    while len(a)!=len(x):
        for l in x:
            if l<b and l not in a:
                a.append(l)
            else:
                a=a
        b+=1
    if len(a)%2!=0:
        while len(a)!=1:
            del a[0]
            del a[len(a)-1]
        for z in a:
            c+=z
    else:
        while len(a)!=2:
            del a[0]
            del a[len(a)-1]
        for z in a:
            c+=z
        c=c/2.0
    return c

The above looks to be an attempt at a sort algorithm. Problem is that len(a) is always nont equal to len(x), hence the infinite loop.

You are correct that it is a sorting algorithm. I am attempting to sort the items in list x from smallest to largest. Can You explain why len(x) and len(a) are always not equal? The odd thing is that I tested that section individually when I first wrote it by returning a and printing the function with several different inputs. It seemed to work fine.

This is preventing duplicates. A statistical sample is considered to be a list of random values, with duplication permitted. We do not remove or exclude duplicates. Doing that guarantees that a will always be shorter than l.

Ok. Now I see where I went wrong. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.