12. Stocking Out

Error:

Oops, try again. calling compute_bill with a list containing 1 apple, 3 pears, 3 oranges and 8 bananas resulted in 45.5 instead of the correct 37.5

Question: I'm not really understanding how dictionaries work when combined with for loops I guess. That code looks like it should work to me. Should I go back a few lessons or am I just missing something very simple?

shopping_list = ["banana", "orange", "apple"]

stock = {
    "banana": 6,
    "apple": 0,
    "orange": 32,
    "pear": 15
}

prices = {
    "banana": 4,
    "apple": 2,
    "orange": 1.5,
    "pear": 3
}

def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
        if stock[item] > 0:   ###Broken
            total += prices[item]
    return total
    print total

print compute_bill(shopping_list)

edit: Also I would be interested to know WHY its returning 45.5 instead of 37.5.

i am going to give you a push in the right direction, if you need more help let me know. You have 6 banana's in stock, your code allows me to buy 9. Why? You don't update your stock after i bought something, which is also explains why the bill is to high: You let me pay for items which you have no longer in your stock.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere with the problem.

what do you mean? It is the problem, you need to update your stock after something is taken out (bought)

When I add

stock -= stock[item]

to the if statement I get an error though

i mean
stock[item]-=1

it seems you are not allowed to call the function, remove this:

print compute_bill(shopping_list)

could you post an updated version of your code if problems still persist?

That allowed me to pass the course (removing the print statement)

However I honestly still don't understand exactly why it worked. I could swear i typed it exactly like this:
(indentations removed because I dont know how to format it on the message boards)

def compute_bill(food):
total = 0
for item in food:
if stock[item] > 0: ###Broken
total += prices[item]
stock[item]-=1
return total
print total

and it did not work before

I guess I'll just keep going for now and just repeat the section on dictionaries at a later date.

Thank you for your help.

but you added the stock[item]-=1, and then you removed the print statement (For a reason i do not yet understand the exercise doesn't want you to call the function)

So you made changes. Which is why it works :slight_smile: