11. Danger, Will Robinson

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-en-4XuFm/1/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

I keep getting this error message (below) when I enter col and row that are within the board....

'Oops, try again. Make sure to enter a col and row that is on the board!'

from random import randint

board = []

for x in range(0, 5):
    board.append(["O"] * 5)

def print_board(board):
    for row in board:
        print " ".join(row)

print_board(board)

def random_row(board):
    return randint(0, len(board) - 1)

def random_col(board):
    return randint(0, len(board[0]) - 1)

ship_row = random_row(board)
ship_col = random_col(board)
guess_row = int(raw_input("Guess Row:"))
guess_col = int(raw_input("Guess Col:"))

print ship_row
print ship_col

# Write your code below!
if guess_row == ship_row and guess_col == ship_col:
    print("Congratulations! You sank my battleship!")
else: 
    print("You missed my battleship!")
    guess_row = "X"
    guess_col = "X"
print(print_board(board))

Hi @ttdd1208,

The actual problem is here, rather than with what you entered when you ran the program ...

guess_row = "X"
    guess_col = "X"

Instead of the above two statements, use guess_row and guess_col as indexes to set the appropriate cell in board to "X". That cell can be accessed as board[guess_row][guess_col].

Done that, Its still not working

We'll need to see exactly what changes you made. Please post all of your code for this exercise again and any error messages you received.

I am confused about the indexes, could you explain how that works? Thanks for your help, it is working I just want to make sure I fully understand.

board is a list of five lists. Each of the five lists represents a row with five cells, with each cell being part of one of the five columns. We can also think of board as a two-dimensional list. In any case, we need two indexes to specify a location within board. The first index represents the row and the second represents the column. Accordingly, to place an "X" in the guessed location, we do this ...

board[guess_row][guess_col] = "X"

2 posts were split to a new topic: Danger, Will Robinson! - Row and Column Numbers

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.