11. Can't see it!? "Oops, try again. Hmm, it looks like your nameString() function doesn't return 'Hi, I am Susie' for the name Susie."

Lesson 11. Function recap

Getting this error, but it does print, Hi, i am **** , also see upload. What am i supposed to do? I am clueless atm. Thanks.

Oops, try again. Hmm, it looks like your nameString() function doesn't return 'Hi, I am Susie' for the name Susie.

var nameString = function (name) {
	return "hi,i am" + " " + name;
};

console.log(nameString("Al"));

Hi the string should be...

"Hi, I am" + " " + name;

instead of

"hi,i am" + " " + name;

Hey, I tried your code and made a little modification and it worked.
Check it out. Try this.

return "Hi, I am " + "" + name
};

console.log(nameString("Al."));

Same error, how ever Cynthiarose's solution worked. It looks like i just should have copied from the instructions. Thanks you both.

You are welcome. Glad my code worked.

Thank you, other contributors. My problem was similar, but not exactly the same. The code wouldn't pass the test until it had BOTH a console.log() output and a return() output.

`var nameString = function (name) {
    console.log("Hi, I am "+name);
    return("Hi, I am "+name);

};`

At any rate, it should be checking JS not spelling and grammar.

I did copy from instructions and it didn't work. Console log has to be outside of the function for it to work, which isn't real error but there.

HI if you need help you should post your code..

I just did, in separate thread. It lets me pass the lesson, but it's clearly not working...

Thanks for your code, but I've got a question.
Why does A work instead of B? Thanks!
A. console.log(nameString("Al."));
B. console.log{nameString("Al.")};

Sorry, I'm not much of an expert in JavaScript and I don't really know why B doesn't work and A does.:frowning: But I think it's because we use {} mostly for code blocks and functions, right??

because in (nameString("Al.")); you have two closings one is for (nameString) which has a opening and closing and the other set is for ("Al.") if you do (NameString("al.")} you will be leaving nameString open as you are closing only the ("Al.") and not adding the ) that closes nameString so you would have nameString open and close the function when nameString needs to be closed also.

i just don't know how did you do?i likes the same form,what the diffierent between
them?when i copy it ,it works!

I wrote it wrong by mistake and it passed anyway Lol

return("Hi, I am" + " " + name);

}

nameString(console.log("Daniel."))

It returns this:
Daniel.
"Hi, I am undefined"

I did it by mistake but It passed anyway, maybe the lesson needs to give an error in case that happens.
I fixed it to

console.log(nameString("Daniel."))

But the lesson passed Ok with the error.
:stuck_out_tongue:

@1233210000abc The curly brackets are for the JavaScript code and the parenthesis are for the name of the functions and parameters (If I understand correctly).

You will see the that what's between curly brackets is the JavaScript code that runs when the function is called.

At least that's what I am understanding at this moment.
Hope it helps

:slight_smile:

I think the check is only looking for a specific way to write the function and not accounting for other solutions.
Believe the “return” in the instructions is how you are supposed to identify it. See below

// 	console.log('Hi, I am' + ' ' + name); Works but doesn't count in this setting
    return "Hi, I am" + " " + name;
};
console.log(nameString('Susie'));

Write a function called nameString()
It should take name as a parameter.
The function returns a string equal to “Hi, I am” + " " + name.
Call nameString() by passing it your name, and use console.log to print the output.