11/15 count

Hello fellow members,

I got a problem with count function. Function should return the number of times the item appears in the list. I think the code seems fine but it throws a wierd error. I tried it with while and for loops but gives similar error. Here is the code:

def count(sequence, item):
  sum = 0
  while item in sequence:
    sequence.remove(item)
    sum += 1
  return sum

count([2, "time", 5, "time", "time", 7, 1], "time")

Screenshot with error:

Thank you!

Let me stop you right there.

Why would you need to change the list to count things in it?

(Also, you’re doing it in a horribly inefficient way, doing many passes over the list, both the in operator loops through the list, as does list.remove, and you’re using them both repeatedly)

As for the result, I think you’re using different code in the editor from what you posted, perhaps you have tab characters in there, changing the meaning of the indentation. Because, while there’s no point in removing, and while it’s done inefficiently, the concept does indeed still amount to a correct result.

A different data structure could be used which allows for constant-time membership testing and constant-time deletion. Lists don’t do that. That still leaves that removing is not necessary to counting.

Despite my protests, I still do agree with coming up with an idea that you’re convinced of is correct, and implementing it.

Hello ionatan,

It’s the same code. I just copied/pasted it.

Well I know I am a beginner in this. Just wanted to make code efficient and to do it’s function. Seems like was not efficient. In free time I will rewrite the code and post it here.

And I did not get what you meant in your last sentence. (English is not my native language)

The code you posted doesn’t behave like your screenshot suggests. Something is off.

What I meant with the last part is that your code should match the idea you had.
If that idea is: remove the item until it’s no longer there, then yeah, go for it. If you’re happy with an idea you should go with it. Code is there to describe your ideas. And you shouldn’t change the idea unless you realise that it doesn’t do what you want. It’s the code that should change to match the idea.

But if you thought it would be fast, then it would be a bug. Either you hadn’t thought through how it would happen and it would be a bad assumption, or you had thought of a way that would make it fast, but you wrote something else.

I do not know what might be off because the code I posted is the same I copied/pasted from the editor and it is the same in screenshot as well.

Well my idea was to count +1 for every removed item from the list for so long
while there is no item left in that list.

I know it would not be efficient in a program where you need to keep the item in the list but for exercise I used this idea. Will try to brainstorm another idea how to get this done.

Don’t worry about making it efficient.
All that matters is that you know what things do, that way you can make things efficient, you can ask yourself “how much work will this do” and know whether it’s reasonable. And you’ll see if something is doing lots of unnecessary work, and instead be able to write what you meant.

Sometimes, like here, inefficient simply means that you would never do it that way yourself. It’s not a matter of speed. It’s a matter of describing what you meant.

Thank you for all the help, ionatan. Just wrote my new code. Actually did it pretty fast and I think this is really efficient.

def count(sequence, item):
  sum = 0
  for i in sequence:
    if i == item:
    	sum += 1
  return sum

count([2, "time", 5, "time", "time", 7, 1], "time")

Was simplier than I thought. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.