1. If/else

I get the error: "Oops, try again. Looks like your function returns false when number = 3. Check whether your code inside the if/else statement correctly returns true if the number it receives is odd."

I don't understand this error, isn't getting false when the number for 3 correct because 3 is not divisible by 2 (as whole numbers).

Here is my code:

var isEven = function(number) {
if (number % 2 === 0) {
return "true";
}
else {
return "false";
}
};

console.log (isEven ());
console.log (isEven (3));
console.log (isEven (4));

I get false, false, true respectively.

Thanks

@tyoungg take a look at your code here I have commented where the error is

if (number % 2 === 0) {
    // here you might wanna return the protected
    //namespace(boolean) true rather than the 
    //string "true"
return true;
}
else {
    // here you might wanna return the protected
    //namespace(boolean) false rather than the 
    //string "false"
    return false;
} 
};

console.log (isEven ());
console.log (isEven (3));
console.log (isEven (4));

@rydan

Thanks so much! :smiley:

"if ((number % 2) === 0)"

Can someone explain why we use "=== 0" in this? I get the modulo usage, but I do not get why we need "=== 0".

Well what characterizes an even number? Well you can divide it by 2 without rest number%2 gives you the rest and without rest means that the rest is 0 and that is what you check for.

I don't get why we use === 0 too. My code:

if (number % 2) {
And I gave a (number) atribution of 4. So 4 is divisable by 2 evenly. We get answer of 2 which is even. So it should return true without === 0. So what is the reason we use it?

Yes 4 is evenly divisable by 2 therefore the remainder is 0. Meaning you're condition is 0 and you might know that 0 and 1 where the original values for on/off and true/false therefore 0 means false. So you need to adjust either your condition to !(number%2) or the output to false.

Yeah, I know 0/1 meanings. Probably I'm not sure what % really means here?

% means modulo which computes the remainder of a integer division e.g. 9/4 is 2.25 and if you only use full integer its 9/4 = 2 + 1 (/4) . So 4 fits 2 times in 9 and 1 still remains to be processed and that is the number that modulo computes 9%4 = 1, 5%3 = 2, 8%2 = 0 aso

Oh, now I guess I understand. So, % means that it checks if 4 divided by 2 (in my case) gets any remainder and because it divides evenly we give a condition if it is false that it has remainder and because it is false it returns true. Thanks.

we are asked not to use console.log
try isEven(); instead

this was genius thank you

I type this code:
if (number % 2 === true){
return "True";
}
else {
return "False";
}
};
isEven(3)
and get this error message

Oops, try again. Looks like your function returns false when number = 3. Check whether your code inside the if/else statement correctly returns true if the number it receives is odd.

I tried this other way
if (( number % 2 != 0) === true){
return "True";
}
else {
return "False";
}
};
isEven(3);

and still receive the same error

hi try that

// Your code goes here!
  if (number % 2 === 0) {return true ;}
  else {return false; }
};

that´s the first I tried when I got the error, and thoght I had to insert the numbers and still had the same error....now it worked.
Thank you for your help

read the instructions carefully again and you will know where they meant not to use console.log()