What is the meaning of this...?

Hello everyone, My name is Jeffrey! I am new to coding and of course there is a lot of things that I don’t understand. Thank you very much to take a little bit of your time to answer this small question.
Can someone please explain to me the meaning of the dots… for example in the chapter of ls revisited at the second instruction

I can’t help you unless you are a lot more descriptive.

# what is the current-directory
$ pwd                                                                                                   
/home/ccuser/workspace/blog                                                                             
#which files does the directory point to
$ ls -als                                                                                               

total 24                                                                                                
4 drwxr-xr-x 4 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 18 11:01 .                                                        
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 18 11:01 ..                                                       
8 -rw-r--r-- 1 ccuser ccuser 6148 Jun 11  2015 .DS_Store                                                
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 ccuser ccuser 4096 Jun  9  2015 2014                                                     
4 drwxr-xr-x 4 ccuser ccuser 4096 Jun  9  2015 2015                                                     
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 ccuser ccuser    0 Jun  9  2015 hardware.txt
# 4 directory entries   'drwxr-xr-x'
# 2 file entries
$ ls ./      
# what do is see in the current directory using ./                                                                                           
2014  2015  hardware.txt                                                                                

$ ls ../ 
# display files in the parent-directory                              
blog                                                                                                    

#jump into the parent-directory                                                               
$ cd ..                                  
#have look at where am i at
$ pwd                                                                                                   
/home/ccuser/workspace                                                                                  
#show all files in this "workspace" directory
$ ls -als                                                                                               
total 12                                                                                                
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 18 11:01 .                                                        
4 drwxr-xr-x 7 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 10 15:50 ..                                                       
4 drwxr-xr-x 4 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 18 11:01 blog                                                     
$    
#traverse up to the parent of the parent
$ cd ../..                                                                                              
#look at where am i at
$ pwd                                                                                                   
/home
#display the files/directories in this "home" directory                                                                                                   
$ ls -als                                                                                               

total 16                                                                                                
4 drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root   4096 Oct 14  2014 .                                                       
4 drwxr-xr-x 29 root   root   4096 Jan 19 16:44 ..                                                      
0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root     21 Jul 23  2014 .bashrc -> /srv/cloudlabs/bashrc                        
4 drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root   4096 Jul 23  2014 .forever                                                
4 drwxr-xr-x  7 ccuser ccuser 4096 Feb 10 15:50 ccuser                                                  

# change to the parent-directory of the "home" directory
$ cd ..                                                                                                 
# what directory am i at
$ pwd                                                                                                   

/                                                                                                       
# the "/" directory is also called the "root" directory
$ ls                                                                                                    

CL   boot  etc       gfshome  lib    local       media  opt   public  run   srv  tmp      usr           
bin  dev   fastboot  home     lib64  lost+found  mnt    proc  root    sbin  sys  uploads  var           

For some more info
Im stuck on step 4 of cp 1