Making a "real" website outside of codecademy

Hello All,

I hope you don’t mind this query being posted here. The codecademy tutorials are a brilliant way to learn to code. However, once these skills have been picked up and one wants to build a real website, using a HTML/CSS language, where can an editor be found to write the html and css? I assume this is somewhere outside of codecademy generally?

Cheers

Brendan

Since you don’t need to install a compiler to create HTML and CSS, you can use a simple text editor such as Notepad. There are software applications with IDEs that make debugging easier and come with development tools, such as Notepadd++, Netbeans, Eclipse, etc. (and they’re free). There are also software programs available for purchase, such as Adobe Dreamweaver.

I use Notepad++. An important practice when creating your projects is to keep your folders and files organized so they can easily be referenced, especially when you have multiple pages.

Hope this helps.

On the subject of important practices…

I
 N
  D
    E
     N
     T
    A
   T
  I
 O
N
!!!!

Indentation is very good for making code easier to read, and it allows you to see parent and children tags easier.

Hello,

I agree with what chipcoder says but would also throw Atom and Sublime Text into the ring for a good text editor. I personally use Atom and love it but sublime text is very good too.

Thanks for comments Chipcoder.

I will give this a whirl

Hello Jibblyj

Apologies, in reply unsure what needs formatting and how when asking questions generally.

Regards

BC

Thank you also nickca58

To make websites you should probably put them all in one directory ie: have a folder of your coding then a folder inside for webpages then have a folder for your project. You can name html files .html ex: main.html, you can name css files .css ex: styles.css you can name your javascript files if you use any as .js ex: script.js.

You can use almost any text editor and just save them as those types of files, but if you use an IDE (ex: Notepad++, Brackets, Sublime Text, Atom), it can make the design flow much easier, but they are not a must. Have fun :slight_smile: if you need any help just ask.

1 Like

Thanks Minusgix.

Cheers for your help

I have only used Notepad and Sublime before (love Sublime), but would like to try some of the other ones that people have mentioned.

1 Like

@dreamthink If you’re trying out other code editors, I like and use Brackets

1 Like

This would be a good topic for one of those polls Zeke. One of the type where you can pick more than one item.

1 Like

@albionsrefuge Done! How did you know you could create polls with multiple options? I had to do a search to find out how to do it.

I read about them somewhere. There were several other options for types of polls … where ever that was … I forget … :dizzy_face:

Here maybe? https://blog.discourse.org/2015/08/improved-polls-in-discourse
They’re pretty neat :slight_smile: I already liked polls, but now they’re even better!

Yes that was it. I’ve been reading a lot over here:

1 Like